Ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After two winters of no ice at all, our local quarry finally has ice and will be open for ice diving the end of Feb (or just cold water diving if ice doesn't hold).

I'll be doing the ice diving class, as I'm sure my shop will be offering it.

I'm all set with the basic equipment - my regs are cold water rated and I have the required pony bottle. I'll be renting a drysuit since mine is now too big.

What else? I seem to remember an extensive ice diving thread from last winter, but my Google-fu is weak today and I couldn't find it.

I can't wait.

:D

Get used to the 'new' drysuit.

Otherwise it's diving and the course will go over everything else beyond the diving part.

_R

dry suit? Used to ice-dive in my wet suit (farmer john and shorty top). Of course I was much younger then...
Bring a large container of warm/hot water for after the dive - or even to pre-fill wet gloves. Of course with a dry suit you won't be dumping that IN your suit after the dive. Make sure your gear is compact to not get caught in the attached line.
@Marie13 - where abouts are you diving? I dove the racine quarry, lake Geneva,lake wazzee, kankakee, and red granite when I lived up in WI.

ice dive dive bob  sitting .JPG
Ice Ice Baby...... :bounce:

@Marie13 : Class through DRIS? I'd imagine that everything will be thoroughly covered......

I'm all set with the basic equipment - my regs are cold water rated and I have the required pony bottle. I'll be renting a drysuit since mine is now too big.

What else? I seem to remember an extensive ice diving thread from last winter, but my Google-fu is weak today and I couldn't find it.
Dry Gloves and liners
Thick a** hood
An insulated mat to sit on so you are not sitting directly on the ice
Sled so you can load all your gear in it and pull it across the ice/snow. Not sure how far you have to go to the opening.

just for info I will be doing another ice diver/ ice tender class this march again (photo of rhwestfall) so if your interested just pm me ....steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom