Ice on Lake Winnepesaukee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking ahead to Ice Diving this coming weekend. Any reports on ice conditions over the Lady Of the Lake? We heard a class bagged it a week or two ago for thin ice.

Pete

Hey this is unrelated to your post but I didn't know Lake Winnepesauke was a real place! Did they film What About Bob there?

What about Bob was set on Lake Winnepesauke, which is real and located in central New Hampshire, but it was really filmed at another location, I think South Carolina, but I don't remember for sure. Its a nice large lake with some decent diving. It and its smaller sibblings around NH (remember Squam Lake in On Golder Pond) make it a real nice place to live, except the winters are brutal.

The movie was actually filmed in Virginia at Smith Mountain Lake in Moneta. Funny story. I was on a three month tour of the south when they finished filming the movie. I was invited to stay with a relative who lived on the lake. I was given the directions to their house and noticed that most of the signs and buildings had New Hampshire signage. Kind of messed me up for a few minutes. The relatives took me on their boat to show me the house and town they filmed in. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the gentle correction, I guess I mixed up those states with all the tasty fried chicken and BBQ joints.

You guys are doing a good job of bumping the thread back up, thanks.:D

Eventually someone that knows something about the ice will chime in.

The weather forecast looks dire.:(

Hi Pete,

I was over at Aquatic Escapes in Londonderry two weeks ago and they were talking about an ice dive class that did go out onto the lake, but the ice was only about 4 inches thick. Could be iffy with the warm weather scheduled for the next couple of days even though there were several days of pretty cold weather just prior. Might want to call Dive Winnipesaukee at the below number for latest conditions.

4 North Main Street
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
(603) 569-8080

Winter Store Hours:
Sun - Mon: Closed
Tues - Sat: 10 - 5:00

As I suspected (and feared), thanks for all the input. Our instuctor is networking with the shops in that region, it will be his call tonight. We have a contingency weekend around 3/1 as well. I think there was hope to do 2 weekends so that the first class could have a chance to get under a second time this season. We shall see.

The other option is selecting a less attractive pond site that also represents less travel for all of us up here. We won't be diving down on the Lady of the Lake but I can get the coodinates to a 63 Chevy in 30 feet. I don't know if that will be of intersest to anyone else but it does simplify logistics & reduce $ risks for what will be training dives. That is, being training dives how much time down on the wreck will we really net?

With this rain follwed by mixed precipitatioin on Friday I don't know if there will be any friendly surfaces this weekend regardless of ice strength. The ocean will be chuned up too. This may be weekend for the snowblower collection. Time will tell.

Either way, at least I got my pony sling all rigged.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I was over at Aquatic Escapes in Londonderry two weeks ago and they were talking about an ice dive class that did go out onto the lake, but the ice was only about 4 inches thick. Could be iffy with the warm weather scheduled for the next couple of days even though there were several days of pretty cold weather just prior. Might want to call Dive Winnipesaukee at the below number for latest conditions.

4 North Main Street
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
(603) 569-8080

Winter Store Hours:
Sun - Mon: Closed
Tues - Sat: 10 - 5:00

Back
Top Bottom