Icon and Allakai sizing. Waistbelt or Hipbelt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I posted earlier that my wife and I recently purchased and Icon and an Allakai. Thank you Phil for passing on the phone number to request owners manuals.
I have another question, that my just qualify as one of the dumber ones here:D. Close at least.
How do you properly size a BC? We bought these from a dive shop that's a 2 hour drive away. We relied on them to fit the BC's to us. We've since tried them on at home, multiple time, messing around with the various adjustments.
My question is:
where should the belt be positioned on your body, how high or low?
I've seen pictures of divers wearing BC's and they all seem to be right across the stomach, that's where our are when the shoulder straps are properly adjusted. Is this right? Or does the belt go lower toward the hips. Waistbelt or Hipbelt?
I just wanted to get some advice here on how to properly adjust our BC's.
Would it be possible for phil or someone from Mares to post any Mares BC sizing figures here.
Or just some general sizing guidelines or advice.
Thanks for any opinions.

Take care,
Mitch

Mitch,

As a general rule of thumb the waist band should be around your stomach, near the belly button. People are different sizes and shapes so this is a guideline. Attached is sizing file for Mares bcd's. Because the Icon and Aliikai are new, we don't have a published chart yet. Sizing on the Kaila (womens) and Dragon (unisex) will be close enough for you to compare with the bcd's you recently purchased.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Copy of BCD Size Imperial Measurements.xls
    21 KB · Views: 95
Thank you Zak,
That was fast.
I appreciate the general rule of thumb as well as the sizing chart.
I'll be trying out the BC this weekend.

Mitch

Back
Top Bottom