icon net mid-dive reset!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zoranb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Very bad news!

Even though there have been numerous threads about the net ready icon, I’vealways been more than tolerant to all the little details people have writtenabout such as the issue with the changing time/date when stored (supposedlyfixed with the last firmware 3.06), low battery capacity, problems with the(new) transmitter not pairing unless reset by means of briefly removing thebattery from the transmitter), etc…

Regarding the time change, it has been mentioned that the icon changes thesystem time/date. I’m not using the term “reset” as that would be understoodthe time/date change to some initial value like when your PC motherboardbattery dies and the clock resets itself to January 1st 1980. Whatthe icon does, it changes the date back by a couple of days/months, and thetime by couple of hours.

There hasn’t been a rule when and why this happens, but it has happened. Ithappened to me on my first icon, and again on my replacement net ready icon,across all firmwares, although I admit less frequently with the newer firmware.Because my icon always changes its date/clock data when not used for a month orso, I make sure to set the correct time and date as a part of my pre-divecheck.

Yesterday, on the second dive of the day, while assisting an instructor, inthe 24th minute of a one star course dive, I noticed that under 12 mof water my icon is showing the main menu! Befuddled, as I was reaching to pushone of the buttons, the icon switched back to the dive mode, resetting ALL the currentdive data. The dive started from scratch, including the time, depth, tank reading,and as I found out after my dive, most importantly the tissue loading!

The rest of the dive, the icon did not show any signs of malfunction. Noteven a flicker.
After the dive I was mad as hell, not only because the icon reset itselfmid-dive, but because there was no reason for it to do so, and because I haveabsolutely no guarantee it won’t do it again in the future. As I had my laptopwith me I reflashed the icon with the same firmware that was already loaded(3.06).

I dove two dives the previous day, and the dive when my icon reset itselfwas my second dive of the day. The first dive was at 10:03am.

The dives from yesterday were clearly shown in the logbook, and now it getsinteresting, the times of yesterday’s dives are correct and the time of themorning dive is correct, but the timestamp of the dive when the icon resetitself (remember, I only have the last 25 minutes logged as a whole dive) isyesterday’s date in the morning! So not only did the icon reset itself during adive, it changed the date/time, like it usually does while not being in use!And hey, no tissue loading.

Luckily this was a course dive at 15 m, so no big deal, but who canguarantee me that this is not going to happen when I need my comp the most? I stilldon’t know what to do…

Zoran,
I really think you should take your computer to an authorized dealer. We just can't analyze / diagnose product problems over the internet. This is something that should be inspected by Mares.

Sorry I can't be of more help online.

Zak

---------- Post Merged at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Zoran,

Will you please send me your contact info, email and phone number, our headquarters will contact you to try and assist.

Thanks,

Zak

Hi Zoran, Hi Zak,

I can confirm the time shift bug occurs again, although it should be fixed with Version 3.06. But fortunately it was between two dives.
With the observation Zoran makes, I really think about it, to send back the computer to MARES to get money back. The malfunctions start to get dangerous!

---------- Post Merged at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:15 AM ----------

@Zoran

I have forwarded your observation to my contact at MARES. Let's wait for their reaction. Zoran, do you know the report log function of dive organizer? They can use a log of your computer to analyse what has happen.

Uli

Thanks Uli for the suggestion. I've heard of the log, but haven't extraced it yet. Wouldn't know who to send it to... Dunno who'd care. I think there needs to be a serious incident b4 aynthing happens.

What's most annoying about it, I'm pretty sure it's a SW thing, so how long would it take Mares to patch the SW up???

See how I became humbe. Before I was hoping for Trimix support, now I just want the clock to show correct time :)

I'll be taking the icon out to sea this weekend as a backup computer.
If it so much as gives me a bad look, or changes time by a second, I'm returning it.

Thanks Uli for the suggestion. I've heard of the log, but haven't extraced it yet. Wouldn't know who to send it to... Dunno who'd care. I think there needs to be a serious incident b4 aynthing happens...

Hi Zoran,

here is the link Mares - Software Support - Powered by Kayako Fusion Help Desk Software

You need to create a login and then submit a ticket. You also may attach your log file as attachment. Set priority to Critical or emergency.
I also send the time shift bug as ticket.

always good bubbles

Uli

Hi Zoran,

did you send the log file to Mares?
I've just got an mail by Sergio Angelini (Director R&D, Mares). Because they got several reports for the time bug they are working to finish a 3.07 firmware version. He told me that possibly the compass function causes the bug. I'm not sure using the compass while diving when bug occurs. Did you?

I also pointed the problems concerning scuba ensurance while someone uses a computer with a known bug.
And hey MARES, you can't demand your customers to buy and carry another computer to secure the dives: Your product costs more than $ 1200 and it should work as expected :cussing:
It's a pretty expensive backup gadget!

Calling for Zak and all the expert

After three dives (Nov 21st morning) my Icon HD resetted itself, started from log one, all the previous logs wipe out (nearly 40 logs). Today Nov 22nd, after two dives, the logbook erased again, last five dive logs disappear. A bit stress out, only on the third day of diving trip (Malaysia) without a backup dive computer, any assistance or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Icon HD is only six month old.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and response.

Hi, you should contact MARES directly (see link above).
Also you can go to Facebook site of MARES and post there your problem. In my experience the people managing the FB site usually will answer your post quickly.

Uli

Is it a mares icon HD net ready (with the air transmitter), or the old icon HD without the air integration?

Dive Addict. I don't know as I've not heard of this issue before. In fact most issues have resolved with the latest firmware upgrade. If you have internet access you must have the capacity to upgrade your firmware from your current location? The only other option is to send it back to us when you return.. Obviously less than ideal.

Zak

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 07:38 AM ----------

you could also try posting the issue on facebook and or our technical page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/MARESjustaddwater?fref=ts
Mares - Software Support - Powered by Kayako Fusion Help Desk Software

zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom