ID these please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
A couple from today I haven't seen before and can't find. Thanks in advance:wink:

how big is that Nudi? Looks like a spanish dancer to me...sorry I can't say anything about the bug...What depth did you see it at?

this might be moved to "name that critter"

strange Nudi and ???? Sorry I never know..

From Hoover’s I’d say justleesa is right, a Spanish Dancer but I wouldn’t have guessed it. It looks like the photo described ‘nighttime color’. “At night they are often a blotchy pinkish red, like fatty ground beef” (ugh.)
And the bug looks like a Red Reef Lobster – rarely seen by day, common under ledges and in caves, shore to 50’, bright orange to purple red with white spots and markings, to about 5”. It’s Indo-Pacific but in aquarium trade called Hawaiian Lobster.

Any of that fit?

Wel, the nudi was in broad daylight and about 4 inches long. The lobster was prolly 8-10 inches on the body, if it was still whole. It had been pretty well consumed when I found it.

OK, I found a spanish Dancer and Im pretty sure your right. Aint she a beauty?

I thought the bug didn’t look that small….any more pics? Hoover says the Spanish Dancer gets to at least 3 ½ in but most half that size, more like what I’ve seen. Cool.

I remember seeing some wierd creature with brown skin...what was that one?

I saw a black skined hawaiian sea horse today. I'll get that pic up later. WHich pic are you looking for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom