Id this crab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_dragon

Reaction score

i found this little guy cleaning a rock....found in North east Miami beach... off shore... it about 1" 1/4... can some one id this critter

Looks like one of the "decorator" crabs that paste stuff to their shells as camo. Generally gotta' remove the stuff to get to the species.

rick

Rick Murchison:
Looks like one of the "decorator" crabs that paste stuff to their shells as camo. Generally gotta' remove the stuff to get to the species.

rick
what can i use to get that stuff off... with out harming the critter

There are a few decorators I can ID when I see 'em, but most... most go on their way without my being able to get down to species - 'cause I don't know if removing their "stuff" will hurt them or not. Just seeing one in the daytime is a treat.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
There are a few decorators I can ID when I see 'em, but most... most go on their way without my being able to get down to species - 'cause I don't know if removing their "stuff" will hurt them or not. Just seeing one in the daytime is a treat.
Rick
i but him in my aquarium i got a better pic for you... this might help...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom