ID this ugly fish ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from Cuba, and during one dive at about 25 meters down, this fish came upon us and followed us for about 10 minutes.

Other divers told us they even saw it under a turtle !!!!

Dive instructor over there told us it is the kind of fish that sticks underneat sharks ... must must be large sharks, because that thing what about a meter long !!!! He told us the name but I forgot !!!! Starts with an r..... like Regaton, regatona !!!!

Attachments

• Ugly fish.JPG
    Ugly fish.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 155
Remora, check my spelling.

Yeap ... that was the name....

Thanks

While diving in Belize last week I saw a very small Remora just swimming a long all alone. Only about 4 inches long. It was doing the same thing we were - looking for a shark. A little while latter we found a 30' whale shark to hang out with. Both the Remora and I were happy ;-).

shark_tamer:
Starts with an r..... like Regaton, regatona !!!!

Ah yes, the Rutabaga fish.....

Last trip to Egypt we saw a turtle that was 25% smaller than a volkswagen beetle with a couple of enormous Rutabagas attached. I for one was very impressed. :wink:

R..

I guess using the guilts ( sorry for misspell !! ) on top of their head uses as succion ??

justleesa:
how do they stick?
Suckers on the top of their head. One decided to leave a big parrotfish and attach to me on a dive in the Fl Keys. It took a lot of underwater dancing, wiggling, and even whacking away at it before it finally took the hint it wasn't welcome. My buddy was completely overcome with hysterical laughter judging from the massive bubble clouds around him.

Just a medium sized 12-18" guy, but it seems a LOT larger when it's trying to attach to my waist area.

It was one of those things that wasn't amusing at the time, but afterwards is hilarious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom