"#@$# Idea"->dive->bends->wheel-chair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just read the first part of the original story. The fact that someone somewhere can come up with an idea for a "dive" like this (to 100m/330ft on a single tank of air teamed up with pretty much total strangers) is mind-boggling to me.

If there is anything to learn from the whole ordeal I think it would be - don't do technical dives with strangers. Even if Maxim and Sam (provided that they dove together before) had a meticulous dive plan, with well defined deco stops and sufficient amount of gas, but Sam showed up with someone else and said "this is Mustafa, he's cool, he's diving with us" - I'd absolutely refuse to do it if I was Maxim.

Well obviously, now that we know how it turned out.

You can just as easily argue that the guy was effectively diving solo anyway...

Thanks Alexander, that story was amazing and terrible, and for me the strange google translate actually made it surreal, poetic, moving and emotional. Obviously what the guy did was a big mistake, and I really feel sorry for him.

What would you guys say about this guy if he had seen his friend and the other guy sharing air, and realizing that he did not have enough to safely help them, decided not to get their attention and instead ascended so he could do at least some of his deco, and the other two died?

What would you guys say about this guy if he had seen his friend and the other guy sharing air, and realizing that he did not have enough to safely help them, decided not to get their attention and instead ascended so he could do at least some of his deco, and the other two died?

Helping them was probably one of the more reasonable (or least unreasonable?) things he did that day. It's the dozens of other stupid things he did before and after that nearly killed him. Like at the surface, he should have separated from that Mustafa guy right away after making sure they are both buoyant, instead of submerging again. Then he should have waited for help instead of swimming - sounds like there was plenty of traffic around him, and Sam swam to get help from the boat.

Also, he seems to blame his buddies for everything they did wrong before, during, and after the dive, but fails to acknowledge that the whole emergency could have largely been avoided if he stayed with them at 80-90m, where the **** hit the fan initially. The way I see it, he was more to blame that the other two ran out of air in the desperate situation they were in. They were dealing with an emergency while he decided to separate with half of the air supply they had.

You’re right he probably sucked down a lot of that air as he went deeper.

I would tell him: "you're alive and your friends are not because you were massively luckier than they, despite being only marginally less stupid. Treasure this opportunity you've been given and don't mess up again."

Regarding his decision to help them, that choice was entirely his to make and the personal loyalty and emotional push that lead him to do that, despite the obvious dangers, are not mine to criticize. From a rational standpoint, you don't make of yourself a second (third) victim in a rescue. So, unless you have moral reasons to do otherwise, then I suggest to everyone to follow the rational approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom