"Ideal" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leam

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, so out team is dreaming a bit and trying to come up with an "ideal" gear set up. The current dream is SeaQuest Black Diamond BCs, Oceanic Regs, and not much more in mind. Since we have a hodge-podge of gear at the moment and the only real standard is Oceanic regs, what gear choices would you make if you were starting to build your gear locker?

Our main considerations are:
1. No ice. South Carolina gets cold in the winter, but not that cold. So tempuratures near freezing but no ice diving.
2. Dirty water. Lakes with lots of silt so ease of cleaning would be useful.
3. Various levels of skill. We'd be better served, I think, with simple and reliable gear. Moreso than the "ultimate" regulator that takes constant use to be familier with.
4. Field serviceable. At least to a degree. Don't want to send stuff off but we have several dealers of various types in the area. Most major brands.
5. Common connections. *cough* Air2 *cough* Common O ring sizes too.
6. 1st stage capable of 1 HP and 4 LP connections. Configuration that minimizes entanglement.
7. Alternate Air source? Octo or "on the inflator hose"?

If I've missed anything, please let me know. Right now we'd like to replace our BCs, regulators, and consoles. We use AGAs as our primary mask/air.

ciao!

leam

Leam,

We also do not have a "standard" but many on our team use a backplate & wing setup, keeps more of the equipment behind you so it doesn't collect as much silt when you're digging around on the bottom. Halcyon and Dive Rite are the most popular out here.

I've had good luck with the Oceanic regs. I use a Zeta for sport and while it's the highest performance it is also very sensitive and not always the best for PSD. The Delta is adjustable and a good workhorse and I have an Alpha for my pony reg.

For silty environments a diaphram first stage is best- they are sealed from the environment where the pistons are not.

If you don't have dedicated regs for your AGA's the setup I've used that works well is a 42" hose on my primary reg and a swivel on the AGA- You just remove your second stage and connect the AGA without having to swap hoses. The 42" (or longer) is long enough that you can still connect on the right side of the first stage and have adequate length to move your head around.

Alternate air source- We stay away from the alternate air sources on the BC inflator hoses- non-standard connections and they tend to get filled with mud. Preferred method is a 19CF pony with the reg bungied around the neck- easy to find when you need it and does not normally get mud in it if worn close to the neck. There are also a couple of side blocks out there that will allow you to switch between two tanks without having to remove the AGA, very good to have for water of questionable quality.

Cutting instruments- 2 or 3, worn where you can get to them in a hurry and won't get tangled.

Hope this helps,

Tom Carr
Riverside (CA) Sheriff's Dive Team

Hi Leam

You already know my thoughts on the air2 and how best to configure your pony with a block and octo.
I wouldn't be too concerned about regs as you have no ice issues, almost any of them would be suitable. A standard type is prefered as you know. Try to see what deals can be found out there for PSD. Aqualung for one does give price breaks for teams and if you can work out some sort of deal with the manufacturer and the dive shop to get a couple of guys trained for basic maintenance you'd be set.
The black diamond is a good choice and has preformed well for for PSD work. I like BP's too but I'd be looking for something with quick release buckles on it while at the same time not alot of clutter. I haven't seen anything out there that really works for that yet but the closest is dive rite.
If you aren't using them already I'd get a PSD harness as well. This is about as important as the pony.
For pure PSD diving all you need is a spg so I'd ditch the consoles altogether. Get into wrist mount compasses and bottom timers/computers for use as the need arises which would likely be for your fun dives. Regular searches, you don't need them and rarely can see them.
Suits? Viking with dry gloves and full latex hoods is best for anything yucky and is probably the toughest suit out there

I like the DIR equipment configuration for sport diving but you can't use it for regular PSD work unless you're doing something really technical and specific

I recommend as what most of the PSDs will say, LGS's BC (@$540.00 + @$52 for harness) and pony bottle pocket built right into the BCD. Ditch the extra pony bottle setup you have and ditch the air2 alternate air source, this will continue to drag in the mud and silt and eventually require replacement.

Remove the gauge console you are using and as before, use only a pressure gauge and a wrist mounted compass. Yes certain areas of the lake the compass will do no good but for the most part, the set-up as is now, is completely off track for PSD.

Pay close attention to shears, punches and wire cutters. You need backups for the primary.

I will try to post more as I go along. Its been some time since I have had the opportunity to post.

I'm just getting our team started But going to use the DIR setup backplate wing long hose ect. the best part of the backplate & wing is that every thing is behind you not draging in the silt. would stay away from the air 2 POS.

snow drift:
I'm just getting our team started But going to use the DIR setup backplate wing long hose ect. the best part of the backplate & wing is that every thing is behind you not draging in the silt. would stay away from the air 2 POS.

A BP and wing isn't a bad idea for PSD as long as you've got QR buckles as I already said... this is about as far as you should go for a "DIR" set up for PSD. A long hose for PSD is a really bad idea (as are knives, canister lights and the multitude of bolt snaps that DIR divers prefer).
DIR diving is all about good buddy diving more than anything else and as a PSD you'll never have a buddy on the end of a line with you and so long hoses will never come into play. I'm fairly well versed in both forms of diving and have tried to find a way to combine the 2 styles for a number of years so trust me, it cannot be done.

Thats why my signature line is the way it is... Also because of something George said once:mooner:

I've tried LGS's BCD and wasn't that crazy about it. I like to have the pony firmly secured and it tends to flop around a bit in its pocket. Tiger mounts are bomb proof

I liked the scene in the DIR videos when George, I think, slams up against a cave ceiling and knocks stuff loose.

My preference is to have the same rig for all my diving unless one of you fine folks wants to spring for me to have a couple mission targeted rigs. So though the lack of full console makes sense in a pure PSD view those things are needed from regular diving. I'm actually trying to move stuff *off* my wrists as they bind up when I'm donning and doffing the gear. So a console that can be secured off is better than stuff on the wrist. So much for my DIR perfection...

ciao!

leam

Ok you got me! And I'm starting to get some of what is going on. But why QR buckles? All so why a pony instead of doubles? I do not make any clame to know what I'm doing with PSD. Just going with what I have for the time being. PSD traning is in the plans but have to prove to the great ones that it is worth the money. For a dive team.

We have 7 resivoirs with in a 15 mile raid. And a lot of weekend visitors every week end. so I donot see the problem but I'm not the one who matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom