"Ideal" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snow drift:
But why QR buckles? .
Generally the DIR divers will rarely need to ditch a rig anywhere and if they do they will cut the straps. As a PSD there are many times where you could potentially need to strip yours or another divers gear. Also, it will come in handy for sizing for different people.
snow drift:
All so why a pony instead of doubles? .
The average PSD dive is 20min or less and usually shallow depths (less than 60'). An 80 is more then adequate to handle such a dive and doubles are overkill. Redundant air is also required but rarely do you need anything more than a pony size tank. The reason we like a pony is that it is detachable. If a diver is trapped, the backup may "shuttle" tanks to keep the trapped guy alive until he's freed. Can't do that with doubles.
If a PSD dive is in excess of 60' the rules change but generally we look to surface supplied in those instances as you most definately would be getting a corpse with no real chance of resusitation.
snow drift:
PSD traning is in the plans but have to prove to the great ones that it is worth the money. For a dive team.
This should be more important then anything else. If they won't give you the training chances are they won't give you the right equipment either.

My advice is to get a copy of "Public Safety Diving" by Butch Hendrick it is by far the most comprehensive and up to date book on PSD methods today. You can also get a booklet about starting a dive team from (this will also give you ammo to convince management of the need for proper training)
http://www.teamlgs.com/default.htm
be patient though, I believe they're in the process of moving their office this week.

good luck

First thank you for the insite means alot coming from another DIR diver.
easy every one. just used to getting a beating over DIR makes me a little twitchy.
Having a hard time getting them to see the point of a dive team when thay can call another county in. But the closest one is over an hr out not counting call out time.

Ya I see your point on the doubles I just always dive twin 80s so didn't think very well. We only have 1 pond in the county over 60 feet and 3 that reach 60 feet. Sorry but when for ex would you need to remove your BC?

One of the biggest PSD issues underwater is entanglement. Bodies tend to get trapped by something, be it weeds, fishing line, or brush. The divers can also easily get trapped by the same stuff, only we're spending more time in it so we have more opportunity. Although we try to get out of an entanglement normally there are some things gear removal is best for.

ciao!

leam

...what leam said. Also rapid donning AND doffing of gear is common on the surface and on entry/exit when you're dealing with "PSD stuff"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom