Ideas on family vacation to the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking to fly into either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, rent a mini-van and head south.

Stay in hotel's motel's along the way will we go as far as you can go.

Dive a bit on the way.

Aquarium for the kids.

Beach, sleep and :eyebrow: for my wife and me.

We got some great air rates.

Minivan was $500 for the week unlimited miles.

Wondering what we can expect to pay for rooms along the way. We don't need the 5 star places but I don't want to put my family in a craphole either.

Looking for any suggestions from the experienced.

:popcorn:

i have been looking at this very same thing for early may and i am finding rates for a basic family size room (sleeps 4ish) in the 150 a night range... some of them give AAA discounts... These have all been easy water access/on the water (most everything is though i guess) so maybe you can find cheaper yet?

I am sure others will chime in as im no expert... but i think it gets more expensive in keywest.

Timing is everything.

As an example, looking at the Hampton Inn Islamorada for the night of April 13th, rates start at $279 (yep, $279 for a Hampton).
If you look at the "low season" in mid-August, it drops back to $149.
If you go to "off season" in October, it's $129.
If you look at Jan. 2009, the rates are back up to $219.

Search for Speargirl on the forums here. She has condos down there she rents out really reasonably priced. For around the same as you are going to pay for a decent room. I am going down there in May and she has me hooked up. The places are in Key Largo which is the Key closest to the mainland but traveling to the other Keys is easy and it also gives you the option of a day at South Beach in Miami.

Used to be (in my childhood 30 yrs ago) the Keys were nothing but little cottages for rent, no big hotels! Now it seems to be just the opposite has happened. Our last time down there was in 2003 and we stayed at Kelly's by the Bay (gone now) and loved it. Quaint little hotel, dive op, and next to one of the best restaurants in Keys (Hobo's).... all gone now in favor of condos from what I read. Sad..:(

Go to the websites for the dive ops in Key Largo, Tavernier, and Marathon and get the hotel information from them. They know where the best inexpensive hotels are and have links.
CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS VOTED #1 DIVE SHOP IN FLORIDA KEYS..2006 & 2007
Key Largo scuba diving, Florida Keys - SEA DWELLERS DIVE CENTER, PADI resort facility - Welcome
DIVE KEY LARGO WITH OCEAN DIVERS - SCUBA diving, snorkeling, PADI diver training, IDC & CDC - Instructor & Career Development Center
these will get you started....

robin:D

As said earlier timing is everything.
How old are the kids???
A couple of tips:

1. Our Aquarium is small; this is not a bad thing. Very personable,and interactive. I enjoy it, the kids will love it.

2. Take them to the Marine Sanctuary's Eco-center, located at TRuman Annex Key West ( the end of Southard St.) While you are there check out the WWII Coast Guard Cutter Mohawk right next door.

3. Another secret gem for the kids, is the petting zoo, located at (I am not making this up) the jail on Stock Island. Tell Jeany, the curator, that Bob Guhl sais Hi.

4. The Mel Fisher Museum at the Corner of Green and Whithead is always a hit, as well as Pat Croce's Pirate Museum on Front St.

4. This is where the timing comes into play. If at all possible AVOID THE LAST WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY OF JULY !!! This is Lobster mini season, an all out free for all in the Florida Keys. Not a time for relaxing with the kids.

Have a great Vaca with the fam

trtldvr
www.divealive.org

Hey bvmjethead,

The wifey and I do the Keys annually. Will be there May 12-17. Good Airtran rates from Patrick Henry to Fort Lauderdale non-stop. Costs more to fly into Miami. We rent a car and drive down to Islamorada, where we stay at Ragged Edge Resort, Ragged Edge Resort & Marina - A Vacation and Holiday Getaway in the Florida Keys. We don't go any further south. Diving the Upper Keys, IMHO, is the best you'll find in the Keys. We'll be diving with Conch Republic the whole week, doing reefs and wrecks. Ragged Edge has reasonable rates. Might be too late to book now, since they fill fast. Worth checking, though. From my experience, rates only go up the closer you get to Key West. Might be best to stay north and take day trips south since you have unlimited miles on the van. Lots to see and do in Upper Keys too. Haven't caught up with you yet at the Virginia Aquarium, so it would be nice to see you in the Keys, if our paths cross. Let me know your plans if you go in May.

Kids are 8 and 9.

My boy is the oldest.

weaponeer, I'm not doing the Aquarium this year as I just got to busy with working to make it to try outs.

All info is MUCH APPRECIATED and any other responses are appreciated.

In Key West, the Butterfly Conservatory on the South end of Duval Street is fantastic... a great way to cool off and learn a few things about butterflies before heading over to the Southermost Point for the obigatory family photo op.

In Tavernier, the History of Diving Museum is well worth a visit.

Enjoy!

Just for some activities....Theater of the Sea and the Dolphin Research center are also two good things to check out on the way through the Keys (Not to mention the Turtle hospital in Marathon)

We had some friends come down with us in November and those are some of the activities that they ended up enjoying...(two boys 13 and 10 and an 8 year old girl) They also took a family fishing trip and had a blast (and brought us back our dinner for that night!)

Contrary to popular belief there ARE a lot of cool things for non-adults to do!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom