If buddy breathing fails, possible skills that should be taught?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finneli Felwitch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was certified as an Open water scuba diver with Scuba Schools International in 1998. Since then I have gained a Master Diver card with SSI and recently in the past month, have begun training as a NAUI Dive Master. Open Water Scuba training has really changed, I took my training in Tampa, Florida and the course consisted of several classroom lectures (there was no online learning) split over a couple weeks with a closed book test at the end, four or five pool dives, and four ocean boat dives. The class was trained to use the Navy dive tables, we did not use dive computers and in fact the rental training equipment did not include dive computers. I remember my instructor saying that even though dive computers make life easier, if one were to fail, you still have the tables to work off. I remember my Open Water training was challenging and by the time the boat dives arrived, all the divers knew how to setup their gear and dive (minus controlled buoyancy).

My NAUI Dive Master Training is being carried out in Pensacola, Florida. The open water course consists of a take home open book online course and test, two hour classroom lecture, two short pool dives, and four Florida spring dives (which were at the same spring) all taking place within one week. The students were not trained on how to use dive tables, all the students used dive computers which were a part of the rental package. (I later attended a Nitrox class and nobody new how to use a dive table, so that is when they learned, in a 2 hour classroom lecture). With NAUI, somehow a crystal clear Florida spring with no current/hazards is considered open water. The divers were still having weight issues, confusion of which way their 1st stage goes on the tank, mask clearing, etc.

After witnessing these new open water students being taught in that way, I want to ask a very important question.
What happens if these divers really end up in an out of air situation?

The divers are taught Basic Open Water Recreation out of air situations but only in the pool and through classroom lecture. They are not required to swim a certain distance while sharing air. When practicing buddy breathing, the student’s tanks are nowhere near empty and so the mental fear of running out of air does not exist. What if there is not enough air to make it to the surface, etc.?

I think it was the dive shop Scuba Toys that made a video in the Myth busters theme, by cutting the HP hose, the diver basically shrugged it off with a “big deal, don’t care” and continued to dive with the cut hose. The tank would take 30+ minutes to empty. Next the LP hose was cut and then the time for the tank to empty was around 2 minutes. Still the diver could breathe off the cut hose or turn off/on the tank to breathe off.

Although what may sound like a Hollywood movie, which in Scuba Toys experiment was James Bond in Thunderball, the skills have been done in technical diving but I do not see these skills as a technical diving skill. Some have referred to these skills as the “Regulator of Death Exercises”, I am sure there are other names for it but I have found very limited information on it in terms of an actual guide. Most of the information that I have gathered were from watching action movies and asking myself if those skills could be used in diving.

An actual guide for the worst case scenario in the situation where even when buddy breathing, there is not enough air for both divers to make it to the surface, would be a good thing to have.

Why don’t the agencies teach all the new divers these skills?

The NAUI students are being taught several steps to stop a regulator from free-flowing (banging the side of the regulator, hitting the purge button, temp shutting tank off) but if those steps fail, the students are taught to run through the share air procedure. Why worry about running out of air when you got a tank with additional gas? Students should be trained to know how to take advantage of that.

Does anyone here have better knowledge of these skills that I could read up on?

The situation you describe is not representative of any NAUI course I have ever taken or taught. However, as a DM candidate, you should be in possession of a current S&P, which will answer the skills question that you are asking.

The book covers buddy sharing at a fixed position and accending while buddy sharing to the surface but at a max depth of 15ft, not much time is spent on buddy sharing. As for breathing off the tank itself, that skill was never covered in SSI or NAUI. It just seems to me like the open water instructions are "Disney Styled" which I can understand, we don't want to scare away potential recruits to the sport. However, the risk of dying exists, I have read the Divers Alert Network fatality reports with the typical diver's regulator free-flows--panics--buddy share-air--tank empties before reaching surface--someone gets the bends.

If say you have 1500psi left in your tank and your regulator free-flows at depth, you really do not need to panic. Even if you buddies regulator also free-flows, both of you are not screwed. You can Hose breathe, or breathe directly from the tank. I think these skills should be covered in more detail in an open water, or even advanced open water certification, which currently they are not.

We are taught to dry off the dust cap before covering the 1st-stage because if water gets inside, the 1st-stage could get damaged. If you are going to breathe off the tank, the 1st-stage will get damaged but the diver needs to ask themselves which is more important "yes I spent close to $600 on my octo set but money won't do me much good if I am dead".

Those skills would probably introduce more danger than safety. Even the regulator sharing was "banned".
Recreational divers, in buddy teams have redundancy in their buddies. They'd have to lose their own air and lose the buddy to be in a situation like that. And most of the times that I've seen, divers had an oog situation not because of a cut hose or malfunctioning regulator, but because they didn't control their air! In that case, that kind of skills won't help. They need their buddy or an alternate air source. Or they can go straight up to the surface. That's in the definition of recreational diving and is practiced at least in PADI.
They should also be taught and practice how to breathe from a free flowing reg.

Alright so teaching those skills would be rather pointless and cause more confusion than help. Like you said Redshift, the only time you would need to use those skills would be under very rare conditions and divers are more likely to run out of air because of poor gas management.

Learning how to breathe from a free flowing regulator would be a good practice. In class, it has been mentioned that breathing from a free-flowing regulator is possible but we have never practiced it while diving. Reading a book and having a free-flow actually happen are very different experiences. The Pool lessons should have a regulator set up to free-flow, so that divers can get experience with breathing off it.

I teach free flow breathing...just have the students hold the purge button

That should be practiced and it's easy, just use the purge button.
And the feeling of running out of air can be done by breathing with a closed bottle.

When I did my course, one of the pool exercises was to swim around while the instructors were sneaking up behind us closing off tanks, pulling masks, etc. A lot of fun and helps to prepare divers for these eventualities and to see they can be solved without panicking.

last year I completed a Naui MSD. It was "interesting" that a few skills were quickly discussed, and in the water, they were optional to perform. Buddy breathing being the one I most recall. That sure was a shock. Back in the age of the dinosaur when I took my OW classes, we had to buddy breathe 6 lengths of the pool without masks. If you touched bottom or surfaced, try again....

With the adoption of the octo, sure, things have changed.... Then again, weekend certifications don't have "enough time" to address anything that is intended to get you more comfortable in the water.....

Worst case scenario is there is no air coming from either diver. The first thing that comes to mind is to drop the weights and breath whatever air is in your BCD if your wetsuit can provide enough lift to get you to the surface. This has the added benefit of allowing you to put the air you exhale back into the BCD and that may buy you a little extra time as well.

Have done one real air share. It was not OA. It was a newbie on her first post cert first ocean dive. Mouth piece came off and she did not know you could still breath off the regulator anyway. Came to me with OA signal. Her spare was not on a clip as she had been trained (rental gear with no clip and stuck in her pocket per direction of captain).

Gave her my spare reg. Calmed her down. Sorted out the issue (found her other reg) and had a nice dive. No need for the drama of an air share off the same reg.

i was taught in OW (SDI) about breathing off a reg with no mouthpiece or in free flow. Loss of mouthpiece also happened to me early on as did a freeflow. I think they are a common problems. Definitely should be taught in OW. But then my OW instructor was also a tech instructor.

PS: In case of a real OA, once things are calmed down I would probably give them my pony for the ascent to the boat. Simpler that way. (Slung AL19).

Back
Top Bottom