If I only knew then what I know now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a lot of equipment-related research before buying anything. However, I failed to see (or perhaps, understand) the issue concerning regulator servicing and what it would mean over the long term. I now wish quite strongly that I had known or understood the issues because I would have opted for buying regulators that I could service myself. I like doing that sort of thing, but I wasn't even aware that the option existed or, if it did, is as safe as it appears to be.

Doing my own reg servicing when I started wasn't something people really did. The dive industry had full control of that.
A few brands still have a death grip on the old way of doing business by having certain dealers within a radius carry their stuff and hold them to a certain price structure. They will not let their parts get into the hands of the general public and you must bring your regs into the "authorized dealer" to get free annual parts but you have to have the stuff in there no later than one year from the previous service, wether it needs it or not. But then they will allow their products to get into the hands of internet discounters via grey market thus screwing their "authorized dealers".
I think it's hilarious.
This whole structure and way of doing business is starting to erode thanks to the internet and some companies that have decided to put the control of their products directly into the hands of the consumer.
This gives the diver much more freedom as to where they buy and getting servicves (if they choose to do it themselves).
I think it's fantastic.
We're starting to see a panic happening with some of the dinasaur companies out there that are a little late to the game. Their whole world is crumbling underneath them and they are pretty freaked out about it.

Between screwing guys like me years ago (I have a good memory) and now with the internet and the whole new way of doing business, they wonder why their business has dropped off 50% or more. Duh!

Ain't karma a bitch!

I really can't complain about my LDS and first gear purchases. I'm STILL using the regs I purchased, they steered my in the right direction, and told me to make sure I got the environmentally sealed regs, which at the time, I wasn't diving in that quarry any more than I had to, but figured that they were only about $50. more wth....I'm glad I did, because I've been diving in that quarry more than I ever figured.

My original BC was a good purchase at the time, but It's now sitting on a hanger (I guess I should try to sell it) now that I'm going in different directions, went with a backplate system a few years back (and evolved it into doubles for this season)

I pretty much replaced the original mask, fins and snorkel I got before OW (mask is a HUGE airspace to clear, the fins were decent Mares Plana Avantis, but most of the guys I dive with were using quattro's and left me in the dust, and my snorkel evolved into a roll up jobbie that sits in a pocket.

Wetsuit wise, I started with a 3mm that I still use in tropical areas (and the occasional shallow quarry dive) my 7mm had been replaced with a dry suit to extend my season a bit, and I keep upgrading lights (should have just bit it and got the canister light two years back)

Other ancillary gear comes and goes, but no majorly horrible purchases...I think the computer is about ready to be changed out though...it IS getting a tad old!

AS far as when I took my AOW, I was a waiter...mainly because I had to wait at LEAST until the next season since I took my OW's late in the season...but I still waited and got some quality dives under my belt before moving on. (in fact, the instructors at my LDS had me lead the deep dive since I had a few dives to that area of the quarry already...AND since I was the only one without a "built in buddy" I paired up with a DMIT for most of the course)

I actually have no complaints about any of the training I recieved.
Starting with PADI open water, the instructor was an ex navy diver, really tough.
He had us doing a bunch of stuff not even covered in the PADI instructor manual and I loved it.
He made sure it was cool with all the students before hand and we all said sure!
The way he explained it was regular PADI open water was insufficient for north coast diving and conditions so his course would train us for where we were going to dive, and he was right.
He got thrown out of PADI later. I don't know on what charge but I thought it was a shame. He was a great instructor.

I did my AOW at about 20 dives, I think about 2 months after OW. It was OK, I have no regrets.
I met a great dive buddy in that course and we dove together for 5-6 years.

I actually have no complaints about any of the training I recieved.
Starting with PADI open water, the instructor was an ex navy diver, really tough.
He had us doing a bunch of stuff not even covered in the PADI instructor manual and I loved it.
He made sure it was cool with all the students before hand and we all said sure!
The way he explained it was regular PADI open water was insufficient for north coast diving and conditions so his course would train us for where we were going to dive, and he was right.
He got thrown out of PADI later. I don't know on what charge but I thought it was a shame. He was a great instructor.

I did my AOW at about 20 dives, I think about 2 months after OW. It was OK, I have no regrets.
I met a great dive buddy in that course and we dove together for 5-6 years.

My second instructor (AOW) was an ex-Navy guy (Canadian). He was a tough taskmaster too. Great training. This was back in the 70's. He said his initial Navy training consisted of gearing up, being told to 'breath at all times' and thrown off the wharf.

Going total minimalist or the vintage route:

...or find a great used Mk5/109 or conshelf - price: $100 - $200 ?

I have a MK5/109 that I have been using for close to 30 years and love, but I would be careful buying one. Servicing might be an issue. I don't think that the piston or spring is available from SP any longer. If the IP can't be set with spacers (mine still can), you may be stuck with an unservicable reg. Also, regs that old can start to show some brass and I assume replating is not economical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom