If I owned a Dive Quarry, I would.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure there is a large beach entry area. This can serve a couple of purposes. Not only for us divers but for any friends or family who want to come with us and are not divers but want to play in the water.

I also give a vote for the underwater speaker system playing Dark Side of the Moon for night dives. If a quarry had this I'm sure they'd do a big night dive business.

It would also be nice to have some sort of building or structure that groups could rent out for private parties for their dive group or whatever.

Here is my thought
Make the trail to the dive site hard and full of sharp rocks and Lava.
Put in a few Tiger sharks, some reef sharks and lots of fish.
Maybe even a wave machine
Make it tough to get to the water and put lots of black urchins everywhere
Force all the tourists to the dive boats.

Oh, Sorry, I was fantasizing back to Shore diving in Kona :D

Big Thumbs up on The Dark Side at night.!!
When I do a dive Trip I work out in advance where I eat, Stay and play.
I get as much Comp'd as possible. Room, Fills, Boats.
When an Instructor brings in a large group, they expose your business to a potential lifetime customer.

That is great marketing and it doesn't COST you a dime!

1. Season pass.
2. Hot shower, changing room, and modern bathroom
3. Free entry ONLY for a training. No exception.
4. Clean and well constructed shelter
5. Fireplace for a cold season
6. A lot of fishes
7. No junk in the water
8. Air fill station
9. No local wanderer
10. Competitive rate

What about the possibility of using a vacuum to keep the bottom clean, sort of like for a swimming pool? You could have a program where divers could spend their first dive of the day vacuuming (you provide the air/nitrox) then dive the rest of the day for free. Just use a hose and forget all the attachments. It would probably take a while to make a difference, but once you've got it cleaned up maybe it wouldn't take much just to maintain it. A bit impractical for sure, but maybe worth a shot.
Actually, they vacuum the rocks on the bottom of Vortex to try to keep the silting down. It's just a basin 150 feet in diameter, and it's a Sisyphean task. By the time he gets to one end, it's time to start over again.

(And as anyone can tell you, on a busy day, Vortex is *still* silted completely out.)

+1 to Hockeynut.
And bonfires and weenie roasts at the campground after hours.
:D

Just come on down and dive with us at Mermet Springs like Dive Right In does. We have everything your looking for. You can usually find me in the fill station or being a dive buddy for a new visitor. We would love to have you.

Actually, they do :D

U/W speakers, covered staging areas, surface boat to practice off, sunken 727, EXCELLENT STAFF and safety operations, camping, great bathrooms, credit card machine, and so much stuff to see and the biggest paddlefish I have ever seen!!!

I just wish you guys were alot closer :wink: but its worth the 6 hour trip, well 8 hours when we bring the trailer :D

I've never dived in a quarry but from all the horror stories of them getting silted out by divers kicking up the bottom, I would propose some sort of false bottom to keep the divers about 8 feet above the mucky bottom. Big holes (8 inch square) so leaves and beer cans etc can fall through to the bottom. It wouldn't be any different than diving over staghorn coral (except you're in cold, dark water...heh, heh. heh) as far as entanglement hazard.

Back
Top Bottom