If you could only have one tank, what would it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression:
Almost any HP100 (Worthington, etc), good characteristics, size and capacity for including rock bottom in your gas management plan.

I have Faber 100's and love 'em! I am a bit of a gas hog, so these help me hang with my more seasoned buddies. I am finding though that as I gain experience and confidence, my consumption is improving and my bottom times are getting better, so I am glad I have the 100's moving forward! I also just bought a doubles rig that is using HP 119's so as I progress I will have many options. I may even switch to the 100's for my doubles and use the 119's as singles!!

Only one tank size I would pick AL80's. I can easily handle one or four or more if need be. Seeing as I would have to use them as stage bottles and deco bottles it just makes sense for me.

I can't decide between Steel 72s and AL80s. Then there are my AL53 baby doubles...

Steel 72s overfilled. If I could consistently get at least 3000 psi in them then I wouldn't have anything else.

Faber LP85 bumped up to 3200 gives me about 20% over, 112 sweet ... In a handy 80 size !

I'd take a Steel 120. Currently I have two single Steel 100s, and those are more than enough on air for hour-long dives. But with Nitrox, sometimes you want to stay down even longer or stay deeper longer.

Sure, my air is already as good or better than my current buddies, but if I could have any tank, why not?

It brings forward an interesting discussion regarding the pro's and con's of various tank features.

When I first started diving I really wanted HP St 100's but at $450 a pop up here I had to wait. Instead I bought a couple of used Al80's and then St72's. I now have eight tanks and still haven't spent as much as the cost of two HP100's. If someone "gave" me a HP 100 I wouldn't say no but I probably wouldn't drop that kind of coin now on any tank. Why?

Many of my friends dive single HP 130's but I never liked the larger diameter, weight and floppiness of them.

I wouldn't choose Al80's because I always have to add more lead so it makes a heavier rig. They are cheap and versatile though.

Whether solo or not, for deeper dives I choose to dive self sufficiently so I will carry two tanks; either doubles or a pony. Double 100's are a nice rig but double 72's also let me do all the deep dives I currently want to do. Some of my friends also dive double 130's but going that heavy for rec dives is not what I want to do. No matter which main tank I use I would take the same pony so my choices volume wise for deeper rec dives look like this:
72 + 72
100 + 100
130 + 130
72 + 40
100 + 40
130 + 40
...all of these will fit the bill but the 72 combo's are smaller and lighter. The tendancy seems to be go bigger but I look at how much gas I actually will use and the how the package looks/feels altogether.

For a lot of my shallower dives I usually start getting cold after 45-60 minutes so a 72 also fills my needs there. I could go bigger but with more gas comes the risk of venturing into NDL limits or depths where (I) should be seeking redundancy.

HP vs LP: HP tanks give more volume for size but that only applies if you get a full fill. I have been with many HP friends who curse when they turn their tanks on and see they have been shorted. With a LP tank my surprise is usually that I got an overfill! If fills really aren't a concern then a HP would be a better choice but in my reality they sometimes are. Also, if one ever thinks of buying their own compressor, LP fills are easier and cheaper to achieve.

To each their own, but those are some thoughts that shape my choices.

I'd also go with Worthingtion HP100 for versatility. Good for deep recreational as well as shallow dives and not too heavy. For shore diving my second tank would be HP80.

I'd take a Steel 120. Currently I have two single Steel 100s, and those are more than enough on air for hour-long dives. But with Nitrox, sometimes you want to stay down even longer or stay deeper longer.

Sure, my air is already as good or better than my current buddies, but if I could have any tank, why not?

Hey noob, I'll be in Victoria in October, even swap, my 120s for your 100's? If I don't fly that is....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom