If you could only have one tank, what would it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmneill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm done with the AL80's for anything other than shallow water dives. For dives of any depth they just don't cut it for me. (I feel like I should have done this a long time ago) I don't have any real experience with steel tanks, but I have rented a few and and am ready to make an informed decision. If you could have only ONE tank size for recreational diving, and not taking cost into account, what would it be? Obviously this includes the 80, as I'm sure it is the perfect tank for a lot of people.

Edit: For simplicitiy's sake, assume that HP fills are not a problem.

Last edited:
Opinions on this vary a lot among divers, but here's what I favor.

top550_314b-763157.jpg

Personally I'd like to try/buy a Faber FX120DVB Buoyancy characteristics seem good for my kit.

That's the key though isn't it, what are the buoyancy characteristics of your current gear and how much gas do you require for a safe 'deeper' dive?

Almost any HP100 (Worthington, etc), good characteristics, size and capacity for including rock bottom in your gas management plan.

One size but more that one tank? If so - Steel LP 72. Excellent buoyancy characteristics and I can carry two of them easily when I dive doubles. Older ones are also cheap like borsch.
As a single it's hard to get into DCS trouble and when I go deeper with two I have lot's of gas with total redundancy.

Personally I'd like to try/buy a Faber FX120DVB Buoyancy characteristics seem good for my kit.

That's the key though isn't it, what are the buoyancy characteristics of your current gear and how much gas do you require for a safe 'deeper' dive?

I'm leaning toward the Worthington HP100 mentioned above. I believe it will give me the gas I'm looking for and would compliment my exising kit well. Just didn't want to drop the coin before asking the question here. (I would like to avoid doing this twice)

I also like my steel 72 best. The buoyancy thing. But would probably go for a steel 100 if I were looking. The steel 120 was a pain to walk around with.

Id say an HP100 with the 3500 psi stamped on it. If around cave country, like me an LP 85 jacked up to 3600 is what I use. [2 actually].

My favorites are my HP80's. However if I needed yo choose 1 I'd go with my HP100s for the extra when needed.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom