ignition keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9mm

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the chip encoded ignition keys will be affected by water by diving with them. I have never dove with one. My wife's car has keyless entry and I would just leave the key hidden inside. My new Jeep does not have the keyless entry but does have the encoded key.

at $90 bucks a pop, I have been too scared to try.

Let me know what you find out..

There are a number of chip in the key configurations. Some of them are unaffected by salt water (like GM's and Honda which are just resistors embedded into the chip). Others are a little higher order like BMW and Mercedes, where I think they really have a code hopping chip built in. Saab even has a key that is only a transmitter.

In any event I wouldn't want to to test any theory out on a new car and they keys can only be re-made at the dealer.

Buy a magnetic keybox and get creative.

Here is your solution. (if you don't use a magnet key box, etc)

Go have a copy of the key made. (Withouth the ignition key/chip in it).
They el-cheapo $1 or $2 dollar key copy. Yes I know that won't start your car.
But it will open your door.

But take the "copy" of the key with you diving. It WILL open your car door when you return.. After you get your car door open, you can then retrieve your ignition keys from under your seat or trunk or other "hiding place". (just not out in the plain view open).

You'll find this easier because
1.) you will only be carrying one key instead of your keychain
2.) you don't have to worry about loosing or getting your keyles entry wet or sandy.

This is also a good key to use as with the magnet key box other times..... It will allow you entry to your car, but won't let a thief start it. (Of course he can still steal your CD's, etc.)

this help?

Hey mike,
Now that is a great idea!!! I already hide the key in the car when I drive the wife's Explorer because it has keyless entry. Thanks for the Help.

9mm:
Does anyone know if the chip encoded ignition keys will be affected by water by diving with them.
Not if they're in a pocket in your drysuit's undergarment. I carefully position my key fob so the buttons are facing out, and I can press it through my suit and have the truck unlocked before I get to it!

Roak

roakey:
Not if they're in a pocket in your drysuit's undergarment. I carefully position my key fob so the buttons are facing out, and I can press it through my suit and have the truck unlocked before I get to it!

Roak

I did that once, but whenever I sat down to put my gear on, somehow the button got pressed and unlocked the car.

cancun mark:
I did that once, but whenever I sat down to put my gear on, somehow the button got pressed and unlocked the car.

I've had luck with one of those "surf safe" things under my wetsuit. I put the extra key in it, and leave the keychain in the trunk.

I dive with my key all the time. I have a 2002 ford with the chip. I keep a spare key clipped inside my bc pocket & just lock my keys in the glove box. I have used the spare key several times to start the vehicle & get the heater going while I change. Never had a problem using it & it has been wet at well over 100 feet.

James

I just keep a valet key in one of those tiny pelican cases (IE the cellphone things) in a thigh pocket.

Then your buddies will always get you back from the dive, for fear of being stranded at the lake. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom