Ignoring clear briefing instructions and diving 101 rules. close miss.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We experienced a similar situation on the Spiegel Grove some years back. Due to strong currents present, the boat crew gave clear instruction to maintain constant contact with the line from the back of the boat to the front as well as the descent line down to the wreck. This was emphasized repeatedly. About 14 divers splashed in and at the end of the 50-minute dive, we were short two during the roll call.
The one time I went to dive that the current was murder. Three of the 20 some people made that dive, and I wasn’t one of them. The dive briefing had multiple comments like “do not let go of the line” and “whatever you do, do not let go of the line”.

A little bit off-topic:

Several years ago, I had like 50 dives, we were in the Keys and doing the Spiegel Grove sounded like a marvelous idea! The operator offered to sell us a private guide DM which we were going to do.

Until we researched it (on S/B) and found out abut the currents and skills we should have before doing that dive. Thank God we talked to other divers and not just operators before taking on a new environment.

- Bill

The one time I went to dive that the current was murder. Three of the 20 some people made that dive, and I wasn’t one of them. The dive briefing had multiple comments like “do not let go of the line” and “whatever you do, do not let go of the line”.

The SG was the first time I’ve ever done stops hanging onto a line like a flag blowing into a hurricane! Fish were flying past us at immeasurable knots. I reckon if we had let go, we would have been blown away for miles. On the plus side, the current kept us in perfect position for a stop. No effort required.

The SG was the first time I’ve ever done stops hanging onto a line like a flag blowing into a hurricane! Fish were flying past us at immeasurable knots. I reckon if we had let go, we would have been blown away for miles. On the plus side, the current kept us in perfect position for a stop. No effort required.
It can happen. It can also be dead calm.

There are wrecks in the St Lawrence where you fly on the line like a flag - especially this past season with the high water levels. I did 3 on the SG a few years ago, and for our time there the current was fairly easy.

There are wrecks in the St Lawrence where you fly on the line like a flag - especially this past season with the high water levels. I did 3 on the SG a few years ago, and for our time there the current was fairly easy.

Touche. I’ve done many on St Lawrence too. Bloody cold. And ripping current. SG is a breeze comparatively.

Touche. I’ve done many on St Lawrence too. Bloody cold. And ripping current. SG is a breeze comparatively.
The Daryaw is I think one of the worst that I have done personally for current, especially on the down line. Most I know that do it regularly do live drops and drift into it just to avoid the down line.

The Daryaw is I think one of the worst that I have done personally for current, especially on the down line. Most I know that do it regularly do live drops and drift into it just to avoid the down line.

I love this wreck but the current is RIPPING! A true test of ones grip strength in 5 to 7mm gloves. I have often imagined making it to Montreal in about 10 minutes if I let go (without the Iroquois Dam to fetch up against).

Im assuming you cant dive this at slack tide?

Im assuming you cant dive this at slack tide?
Without having quoted what you are replying to / asking about, it is kind of hard to answer the question... do you mean the OP or some other dive site mentioned?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom