Ikelite Canon S95 Selector knob not working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On a recent 3 week vacation to Thailand, I used my newIkelite & S95. From the start, the function/selector knob didn't work. I'm referringto the knob that you use to select between: Auto, P, TV, AV, M C Video, etc.There is a little sponge type disc that appears to make slight contact with thecamera's selector knob, but not tight enough to move it. On the outside of the Ikelitehousing, there's a little Allan screw on the housing's function selector knob.So, using my "save a dive kit" Allan wrenches, I attempted to adjustthis up or down to take up the slack. Nothing worked. I removed it (thehousing's control arm) completely, and noted the two (2) little o-rings. Icleaned everything, and put a dap of ikelite's lube on it, and put back the wayit was. So, for 21 dives, I set the camera on "P", and adjusted thewhite balance manually. My photos turned out nice. It would have been nice tobe able to switch to Video from time to time, but I couldn't switch to anythingwhile in the water. I did shoot in manual mode a few times, but again I had toselect the setting before I went into the water. I've emailed Ikelite a fewtimes, and I've even sent photos of the Housing. Ikelite's response is thatnothing appears to be missing (no missing parts). That's good. They asked forphotos of the housing with the camera installed. I'm not sure what that willreveal, the sponge just doesn't make contact. Above the sponge is a thin blackplastic washer. My gut tells me to add a few more washers to push the spongeout a bit. I'm not the only person with this issue. Check this site for otherswith the same problem. One guy even suggested putting a few O-rings above thesponge to take up the slack. http://scubasg.com/index.php?topic=3147.0Overall, I was pleased with the Housing. My camera didn't flood, which isalways nice. The photos were good. Those plastic covers: diffusers anddeflector...busted on the first dives that I used them on. Simply snapped. Why?I have no idea. Little sharp pieces of plastic with 10 LB fishing line draggingbehind me until the dive was finished. That's great. Maybe I just need anothersponge or a bigger sponge? Well, I'm at a FOB in Afghanistan, and it will beanother year before I can get back in the water. I don’t have out-going mail, so it will bethat long before I can ship this back to Ikelite. Mail comes in, we just don’t have a postoffice to send things out. This littleproblem didn't destroy my vacation, but I'd really like to shoot video and trydifferent settings next time. Funnything is, the selector functioned before I went to Thailand. I generally like puzzles, but not when I’mon vacation. Any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom