Ikelite for CP 880

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
U/W photogs:

On another thread it was suggested that the Ikelite housing for the Nikon CP 880 digital camera was a little bulky and unwieldy. I held one above the water and agreed. But others have said that, once underwater, it is very comfortable.

Anyone out there own and operate one? Opinions? As far as I can tell this is the only housing for a CP 880. I use a Nikonos, but we are thinking about trying digital U/W and the fastest way for us would be to house our 880.

So, let the opinions fly!

Joewr

Joe

Check out the Light & motion Tetra housing and the Olympus 3030 instead. The Tetra is made of cast aluminum and has a substantial feel to it. It's only a little bigger than the Nikonos V and handles like an SLR underwater. The ikelite is simply a remanufactured version of their lexan housings. The mechanical controls for the ikelite are a bit awkward. I had one with a Nikon CP 990 as a loaner on my trip to Cocos last October because L&M did not have the Tetra ready for shipment by their originally targeted date. My experience with the ikelite & CP was that it was cumbersome and hard to use. The Olympus has much more logically layed out controls and lets you switch modes easily. The CP is a real pain to switch between normal and macro u/w.
You can check out the photos taken with both at my website: http://home.att.net/~jeffweiss/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Given the price drop of the Olympus 3030, and the ease of use of the Tetra, I think you'd do well to consider it.

One more thing, I have no relationship with L&M or Olympus, and was completely unbasis before using the Ikelite/CP loaner.

JeffW

Jeff,

The problem is that we already have the CP 880! I saw your pictures and they were excellent! However, before we buy yet another digital camera I wanted to give our CP 880 a try. Based on the replies so far, it does not seem that many have tried the CP 880 with the Ikelite. I agree that the "one size fits all" housing is not optimum, but when you have lemons, you make lemonade!

Of course, we could buy oranges...

Any how, thanks for the response!

Joewr

Joe:

I understand the problem, but consider selling the CP 880. To understand the difference go take a look at the Olympus 3030 or 3040. You switch from full auto to either semi-auto (aperture or shutter speed preferred) or manual with a turn of a top mounted switch--just like a shutter speed switch on an SLR. This same switch can also change the camera setting to video mode, or simply display the pictures taken.
It's all about ease of handling and the ability of the housing to work with the camera's controls.

Alternatively, forget digital and go with an SLR and a quality housing. 35mm is still the best medium, although the digital results are fast approaching the quality of film.

JeffW

Originally posted by joewr
U/W photogs:

>....Ikelite housing for the Nikon CP 880 digital camera was a little bulky and unwieldy. I held one above the water and agreed.

Yep I own one, and above water ... YES it IS heavy, but it's designed for use underwater, where, it's pretty close to neutral.

> Anyone out there own and operate one? Opinions?

My major critisim is with a couple of its controls, (not that they don't work) they work to well...

The problem, WIDE/TELE CONTROL. At depth water pressure pushs the control in, Ikelite would be better off putting a spring under the knob to keep the control "Dis-engaged" from the camera, the user could then simply push it for easier "fine" control of the operation.

I use a Nikonos, but we are thinking about trying digital U/W and the fastest way for us would be to house our 880.

I've been getting some great AVAILABLE LIGHT shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom