Ikelite Housing and Strobe Users...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nivla80

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello!...
Need a favor from folks with a similar camera rig:

5D MK II in Ikelite Housing
2 x DS 160 Substrobes
8” Dome Port
Sigma 15mm Fish
2 x 5” ULCS
2 x 8” ULCS

I do not have access to a pool and a bath tub wouldn’t really work, so can anyone let me know how negative the rig is in salt/fresh water? I’m trying to figure out how many of the Stix floats I need to keep it neutral, or slightly negative..

Also, can anyone recommend if I remove the Stix floats from the ULCS arms for storage, or should I keep them perpetually on the arms? Reason I’m asking is cos I’m afraid the constant stretching and pulling of the floats might weaken the structure or integrity, or cause it to loosen enough for the center insert of the float to ‘escape’…

Thanks a bunch in advance!

The dome port is pretty positive but I think you will still need a few stix floats. Leave them on the arms; the don't crush and mine are at least 3 years old and still look and act like new.
Bill

Have a similar rig...as bvanant mentioned, the dome is positive but the housing and strobes are "more" negative, so basically the rig will still sink but it will do so with the dome up. I use Ike arms with my strobes and do not use any floats. Never had any issues in 4 years. I would have to guess in saltwater it is about a pound or slightly more negative with strobes/arms/housing/dome. It's nothing I feel the need to compensate for.

For me, the torque of the dome facing up gives me a pain in the wrist so I try to balance the whole system to make it a bit negative but facing forward.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom