Ikelite Housing for Canon S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the S90 and have been waiting for the Ike housing to become available. I tested it in manual mode and the front ring controls the aperture while the rear ring controls the shutter speed. Without the rear ring being functional (as in the Ike housing) there is only one way I could find to control both aperture and shutter, and that is to first assign the front ring to aperture, then push it a couple of times to exposure compensation, and it will let you adjust the shutter speed. A litte bit cumbersome, but doable. I wish Ike would've made the rear ring accessible as well.

Mel

Although there is no rear ring i would have thought you could change the shutter speed at the back of the camera by holding the shortcut key and then pressing left/right or up/down.

It will definately be cumbersome as all the controls are close together on the right hand side.

i have my ike housing on order - they say shipping is expected in a week or two

The s90 relies heavily on the rear ring, and I am starting to think this might be a deal breaker for the Ikelite case, but will hold of until I can really get to grips with the setup.

The lack of a dial on the housing is a problem faced by people who use the Canon housing for the G10. But there is a way around it as found on a thread called Canon "g10/WP-DC28 and manual focus".

So I have experiments for Mel (or any other S90 owner) to try and I am very interested to find out the results:
1) Assign a useful function (e.g exposure compensation) to the shortcut button on the top left corner on the back of the camera. Then press the shortcut button to select exposure compensation and then press and hold the shortcut button. While you are holding it, use the up and down or the left and right arrows. Does this work?
2) Try the same thing by assigning ISO or White Balance to the Shortcut button. Does this work?
3) Select Manual Focus from the MF button on the back of the camera. Then hold down the shortcut button and while you are holding it down, use the up and down or the left and right arrows. Does this work?

I also have three more questions:
4) You were in Manual mode and you assigned exposure compensation to the lens ring so that you could adjust the shutter speed. Were you limited to and adjustment range of four stops (+/- 2ev as in the camera’s specifications for exposure compensation)? Or in manual mode, could you use it to adjust the shutter speed as much up and down as you wanted to?
5) Do you know if TTL will work in manual mode on this camera?
6) Do you know if the Canon housing for the S90 allows you to access the rear control dial?

I have seen pictures of the front of the Canon housing but I can't find much info. I noticed that the control dial for the lens ring is on the right side of the front of the camera (rather than the left as on the Ikelite housing).

Rob

So I have experiments for Mel (or any other S90 owner) to try and I am very interested to find out the results:
1) Assign a useful function (e.g exposure compensation) to the shortcut button

Have not worked out the shortcut button yet.

However, I have been playing with the RING FUNC button.

In AV, TV or M mode, it IS possible to change aperture, brightness (shutter speed????), ISO, white balance etc, by assigning a different function to the front ring.

However, this does not work in SCN mode. I still am not able to find a way to choose the different presets with the front ring. I don't think this will be a major problem. The S90 does have an 'underwater' mode, but I think I will mainly use AV (aperture priority mode), when shooting underwater.

Or in manual mode, could you use it to adjust the shutter speed as much up and down as you wanted to

Yes

Last edited:
Could anyone confirm whether or not an AD mount for bayonet style UWL100 is possible for this - or is the 67mm threaded a fixed item on the Ike housing?

Also is there an adapter for the fiber optic cable (s2000) or do I have to source one from Inon.

In answer to a few questions

The Ike is threaded for 67mm, I don't know of a bayonet conversation (but have not looked)

With a little bit of work you can make your own fiber optic cables, a normal audio/dvd optical cable can be used, mount it using the ike diffuser and then figure out a way to attach it to the S2000 input.

Do not use SCN, use AV and shoot RAW. Correct White Balance in post processing.
If you shoot M, it will be difficult to control with IKE or Canon; AND there will be no preflash.

Use the shift method to control Exposure Compensation, use the shortcut to assign whatever you like - I use it for ISO but rarely change it UW

The only housing that allows control of the rear wheel is the FX Housing

Could anyone confirm whether or not an AD mount for bayonet style UWL100 is possible for this - or is the 67mm threaded a fixed item on the Ike housing?

Also is there an adapter for the fiber optic cable (s2000) or do I have to source one from Inon.

Reef can sell you an optical connector for Inon strobes that is two rubber bushings. Inon will not have one for an Ikelite housing, they do not support Ikelite. Or, you can do as I did, make your own from bits and pieces.

The 67mm port on the Ikelite housing is fixed. You can possibly mount AD lenses using the 10Bar AD to 67mm adapter sold at OOS but I cannot confirm this works with this housing, it does work with the FIX90 (despite what some might say).

The easiest and perhaps most cost effective thing, if you are serious, is to purchase the FIX90 housing. More money but more capability. You get what you pay for.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom