Ikelite housing owners...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc:
When newly purchased (new from Ikelite), is it advisable to take the housing alone for a dive to check for leaks or is this not necessary and I can start snapping away?

Hey marc,

It generally is a good idea to take a new housing underwater empty, i.e. without camera to make sure they're no problems with it.

Having said that a substantial majority of floods are due to user error.

Fastmarc:
When newly purchased (new from Ikelite), is it advisable to take the housing alone for a dive to check for leaks or is this not necessary and I can start snapping away?

I really think that is overkill. Ikelite pressure checks each housing before it leaves them whether it's new or they just did any repair that could compromise the seal. A better use of your time would be to check, and double check every part that could possibly leak such as the e-clips that are on the control buttons (none coming off or missing?) and the bulkeads and bolts that go through the housing wall (haven't somehow worked their way loose?) and of course the o-rings are clean and installed properly. Then, watch it close while decending. But all of these this should be done before EVERY dive, not just the 1st one.

Knowing the causes of most floods, I would guess that if you dive without the camera and it doesn't leak, you probably still have about the same odds of a flood after you open it and close it again. And if you load the camera on a boat or a beach, instead of in your home or hotel, your chances are probably even worse. :wink:

Thanks Chris.
As you can guess, I just received a new housing and I am just itching to try it out. It would be a pretty 'itchy' dive with just the case, but if I can fight the feeling, I may just do that.
Mike, I saw in the instructions that they say the case is pressure tested before shipping and it looks well built, but I think I might err on the side of caution. I was really just curious that if I don't, how many others just go on and dive right in.
I will do those checks you suggested, which are similar to what the instructions suggest also.

Fastmarc:
Thanks Chris.
As you can guess, I just received a new housing and I am just itching to try it out. It would be a pretty 'itchy' dive with just the case, but if I can fight the feeling, I may just do that.
Mike, I saw in the instructions that they say the case is pressure tested before shipping and it looks well built, but I think I might err on the side of caution. I was really just curious that if I don't, how many others just go on and dive right in.
I will do those checks you suggested, which are similar to what the instructions suggest also.

What are you shooting with by the way??
I've got a Canon Powershot A610 in the Canon WP-DC90 housing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom