Ikelite lighting vs. anything better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveguy1969

Reaction score
I just picked up an Ikelite housing for my Sony TRV-38(starter kit) and was wondering if anyone has info on the Ikelite lighting and if there is a better alternative to their lighting systems. I would think that I should get something that is 56k Kelvin but would welcome any suggestions.

I used to use twin 100w Ikelites on my Ikelite housings, and i loved them because they charged fast and had ZERO hotspots. However, the ni-cad battery packs that you need to use them are frickin' huge, and you will have to buy better arms for them than the sticks that pass for arms that come with the lights.

They are quite bright thought, that's for sure. Way brighter than any light I've personally used.

Probably the biggest plus to using Ikelites is the fact that if the light breaks down, you have about a 99% chance that if sent back to them, Ikelite will either fix or replace the light with almost no questions asked, free of charge. They stand by their product like nobody in the business.

yes, there are smoother lights, lights that allow you to adjust the intensity of the beams...there are better lights in general. What it comes down to is what you need out of your equipment, and how much you're prepared to spend. Ultimately like any other piece of equipment.

I too have the twin Prolite setup on my housing and really like it. It looks huge when set up, but it's about a pound negative and "swims" very well. I really don't notice the size in weight in the water.

I haven't had any trouble with my ikelite stuff yet (knock wood), but my girlfriend did and Ikelite made it right. straight away.

PeaceDog:
and you will have to buy better arms

What arms did you but. Please include link.

NAIBdiver1

NAIBdiver1:
What arms did you buy? Please include link.

NAIBdiver1

For my Ikelite setup, I bought UltraLite Control Systems arms. They aren't cheap by any means, but they allow me a range of motion and positioning I never thought possible with the Ikelite 100w's. I swear by them.

Ultralite Control Systems

PeaceDog:
For my Ikelite setup, I bought UltraLite Control Systems arms. They aren't cheap by any means, but they allow me a range of motion and positioning I never thought possible with the Ikelite 100w's. I swear by them.

Ultralite Control Systems

Thanks for the information - I'll check them out. I just had a not so good experience last week on a boat in NC. I told the DM that when I handed up my rig, not to grab by the either of the light sticks- you guess it, that's where he grabbed and the whole the light stick slipped out od it's holder with 130 feet to the bottom, luckely I was able to grab it right away. really made an impact on the DM tip !

NAIBdiver1

Light & Motion arms are the same way...they "pop" on and off of the base of the housing, and if people grab them by the arms, they always come off and get me pissed. As a result, I've become one of those shooters who likes to handle his equipment by himself unless absolutely necessary.

Hi Diveguy,

I'm about 2 weeks late since you first posted but you may want to check out our systems, we had some professional underwater archaeologiest and filmmakers use our lights with their Ikelite housing for a new JVC HD camcorder and they loved our system. Perhaps you could give us a try :) Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom