Ikelite or Equinox for Sony SR12?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Highliner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Finally ordering an enclosure for my Sony Sr12 camcorder. Should I buy an Ikelite 6038.94 instead of an Equinox HD6? Many thanks in advance.

Can't speak for Ikelite, but I hear good things about them. I have an Equinox myself and am happy with it.

If you go to the Itunes Store and search podcasts for Underwater Videographer, you will hear my interview from last year with an engineer for Equinox. Best first hand information out there.

I'm personally not familiar with either model. Although I have handled/shot Ikelite's briefly.

So I'll just point out some differences off their websites.

Ikelite weighs 8#/Equinox 15-22# - going to travel with it? (I should talk, I carry-on an EVO...lol)

Equinox offers an optional monitor back. Ikelite offers their side-mounted mirror with reversing circuitry. This may not apply to their SR12 housing but I did read a post in which an Ikelite owner described that when he switched on the reversing circuitry, other LCD functions were obscured/difficult to use. So he'd do his adjustments first then switch back to it to pan.

Seems like more work, but it's unclear if that's still better than Equinox's option - if they even have one - for viewing touchscreen adjustments. Most external monitors use the composite/component out and unless they've done a good job of re-engineering, the actual control change made on the LCD aren't reflected on it. I do think you would see White Balance changes after they were made however you might be accessing the controls blind - I don't know.

L&M provides a small viewing window on the Bluefin for just this reason in addition to their monitor back.

And on some housings, adding an external monitor limits the size of the extended camera batteries that can be used.

Also unless the Equinox monitor is Hi-Def, which I kind of doubt for $250 - you may want to use the camera's LCD - esp for macro work. Although that's probably a wash since it's farther forward on the housing and being reflected through a clear box on the Ikelite. Including your mask you're probably a good six inches from the mirror best case.

In bright sun that could be an issue - maybe someone here with an Ikelite mirror can comment? Since the mirror is hinged, I'm guessing it's not hooded.

Ikelite seems to offer more port/lens options - I couldn't find any ports listed on the Equinox site yet they do offer optional w/a lenses?

Ikelite offers full Manual White Balance and WB Shift control - does Equinox? It's possible that Ikelite also offers full camera control via your touchscreen. In case there was something you wanted to change u/w - I know there's times I've wished I could. Once I accidentally left nightshot on - whited out the whole dive...

Does your SR12 offer focus control through the touchscreen? That could be useful doing macro.

Equinox goes 50' deeper - 250' vs. 200' for Ikelite if that's a factor in your diving.

hth,

We have both an Ikelite forum and an Equinox rep on SB now for help in getting answers.

I am an Ikelite user and I can give you some information on them. The reverse circuitry is very cool and does work just fine in that model. The one person who posted here said he didn't like it but I have used it (my old camcorder had it) and thought it worked beautifully.

Another nice feature is the weight topside - Ikelite weighs about 10lbs with camcorder inside, the Equinox weigh double.... so carrying it to and from boat, or shore diving it may make a difference to you. To me, every lb counts topside. A friend had an Equinox on a trip a few years ago and we compared, I liked the weight of mine much better. :blinking:

I also like the clear Ikelite housing. Big thing is to always keep it in the shade (same as all other housings) when you are not in the water or it may cause condensation inside the housing. I take a white towel to throw over it when boat diving just in case there is no shade. It also keeps people from touching it - yes, I actually had some duffus pick up my camcorder once and start to push buttons to "check it out" without my permission. :shocked2:

One of the advantages of the Equinox is that I think they fit more than one model of camcorder, Ikelites do not usually.

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

Hello,

I wanted to help answer some of the questions in this post and clarify the specs of our HD 6 housing. First, the out of water weight of the HD 6 is 12-16lbs. and is neutrally buoyant at 33ft.
Second, we do offer white balance control for the SR12. There are some camera models that we do not do white balance for, but in this case we can. The 2.5" rear mounted LCD is 4:3 and we will be offering the 16:9 shortly. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Hello,

I wanted to help answer some of the questions in this post and clarify the specs of our HD 6 housing. First, the out of water weight of the HD 6 is 12-16lbs. and is neutrally buoyant at 33ft.
Then please add those details to your website as that is where I obtained the info:

Equinox Underwater Video Housings by SoupCan - The HD 6 underwater video housing for the Sony SR12

Weight: (out-of-water): 15-22 pounds with removable ballast attached
Second, we do offer white balance control for the SR12. There are some camera models that we do not do white balance for, but in this case we can.
That's good to know.
The 2.5" rear mounted LCD is 4:3 and we will be offering the 16:9 shortly. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
What is the resolution on the 16x9? Will you sell it separately? I'm looking for one...

The resolution is 1440 x 234. When we release the new monitor you will be able to purchase it by itself. I will post on the boards when we release the new monitors and all the details.
Thank You.

I have used Ikelite, Gates and Equinox.
I have filmed a few things underwater for the BBC.

I have been very impressed with the Equinox housing and now use it all the time.
(In fact I use the Equinox HD6)
I'm using it in harsh North Sea conditions 12 months of the year off the UK coast.
As soon as I get on the boat it goes in a plastic box filled with fresh water (to help cushion it when the swell is high (rough seas), to wash it immediately post dive and to ensure the temperature in the housing is moderated in mid summer with glaring sunshine.

Proof of the pudding... see www.youtube.com/bburville

Safe diving and all the best,
Ben "Seal diver"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom