Ikelite vs Stingray+ for Sony XR520V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

romdz

Registered
Reaction score
I’m trying to decide between Ikelite and Stingrey+ (2010 with one push WB control) for Sony XR520V.
While Stingrey looks perfect, I’m looking for your opinion as to how the Ikelite performs with:
*the side mirror monitor (is it convenient to use?)
*the manual WB control (how annoying it is to manually switch between one push WB and auto WB for video light using)?
*how convenient the manual control buttons are?
Any comments on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
RomDz

In reality, there is no comparison between the two housings in my eyes.

Stingray is aluminum, much better than polycarbonate.

Side mirror is no where near as easy to use as a monitor back...side mirror is not convenient

The LM push button controls are much easier to use, especially without looking at the housing while operating the controls.

The Stingray is Universal! You will have it a lot longer.

Not that I can add a whole lot, but I'll take the electronic controls over manual every time (less fumbling around). That and the fact that the Stingray adapts to many different cams I'll choose the Stingray every time.

The mere fact that the Stingray Plus is universal, yet still offers full functionality is a huge plus...and the HD monitor really makes shooting A LOT easier. The flip out mirrors just dont do justice.

Nothing to add.. except this: get the Ikelite only if you can't afford anything better: the side mirror is a PITA, plus the optics? are... well, not such! Pointless comparison.

Anyone who is using Ikelite for XR-520V, can you please share your experience and feelings about this housing?
Thanks,
romdz

I'd check with Light & Motion before I'd believe an ad on a non-video generic scuba website.

sales@lightandmotion.com

If you read post 10 in the thread I linked to the OP mentions planning to buy a CX500 to use the new MWB feature once he upgrades the handle on his Stingray+.

My understanding is that the CX series is the first one to be released by Sony that allows MWB control through the electronics. All the prior L&M Bluray housings had a window on the side of the housing with a manual control to access the camera LCD screen for this function. The Stingray's (up until now) didn't have any way to MWB. I know for a fact that the SR and HC series housings listed in the ad don't support this function either - I have one. So there's a very small chance that the XR series does. A quick e-mail to the L&M will confirm it rather than believing a Scuba.com ad. Or if Mike L. sees this, he'd probably know.

Your call...

Last edited:
The new 2010 Stingray+ housing allows MWB for both the XR and CX series. No side window, electronic button on the right handle. Prices are much higher than for the 2009 model, though, approaching the Bluefin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom