I'll be in Maui in less than a week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I plan to do three dive trips: Cathedrals and Molokini front and back.

I'm locked in with a shop that I've heard isn't quite the best (lahaina divers), but their schedules meshed with mine quite nicely. I'm diving the first three days of the trip (not including the fly-in day), then I'm heading over to Hana for a night and doing some other stuff the rest of my time there.

I plan to bring my BC, weight belt, reg, bottom timer, fins and boots (I want to use my Jets). I'm assuming rental tanks are of the yoke variety, so I'll bring my adapter along.

Any tips for a CA diver?

Thanks,

Marc

Blackwood:
I'm locked in with a shop that I've heard isn't quite the best (lahaina divers), .......

I'm assuming rental tanks are of the yoke variety, so I'll bring my adapter along.........

Any tips for a CA diver?
The last time I used Lahaina Divers, a couple years ago, they were supply AL72 tanks. 6.9" diameter, just like AL50, not the 7.25" of AL80 and AL63. Make sure you adjust the BCD camstrap. Even if the have upgraded to the more common AL80 tanks, it will still be yoke valves.

Lahaina Divers isn't my first choice, but they are a safe operation. Dive times may be a bit shorter with them and the DMs may or may not be experienced critter spotters.

My only advice is to not think that it is so much warmer water than Calif. that you can use just a t-shirt and bathing suit. You'll enjoy your dives more, particularly the 2nd one, if you go ahead a use a full 3mm wetsuit.

Charlie99:
My only advice is to not think that it is so much warmer water than Calif. that you can use just a t-shirt and bathing suit. You'll enjoy your dives more, particularly the 2nd one, if you go ahead a use a full 3mm wetsuit.

I second that advice. However, I got chilled even with a 3mm wetsuit. A hood probably would have made the difference and I doubt with 5mm I would have been too warm.

We dive with Lahaina Divers to Lanai when we're on Maui, and they are definitely a safe operation who really does have good customer service. You'll get a choice of water or lemonade and your SI will have sandwiches with warm cookies on the way back to the harbor at the end.

If you're an experienced diver, don't hesitate to speak with the DM's and/or captain. They're usually happy to give experienced divers more latitude in their dives, and we've rarely had a dive under 45 minutes because of this.

Best advice I can give you is to go with a good attitude that you're going to have some fun dives and you simply can't go wrong, even if things aren't as you normally like them. Enjoy!!

Charlie99:
The last time I used Lahaina Divers, a couple years ago, they were supply AL72 tanks. 6.9" diameter, just like AL50, not the 7.25" of AL80 and AL63. Make sure you adjust the BCD camstrap. Even if the have upgraded to the more common AL80 tanks, it will still be yoke valves.

Sounds good. I reserved 100CF tanks for my buddy who breathes WAY faster than I do. I should be good with the 72. I'll surely adjust my straps :)

Charlie99:
Lahaina Divers isn't my first choice, but they are a safe operation. Dive times may be a bit shorter with them and the DMs may or may not be experienced critter spotters.

Yah, that's what I've heard.

Charlie99:

I was thinking of using a 3mm shorty. Maybe for the backside I'll go with a full, and I'll bring my hood along with me.

Thanks all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom