Ill fitting mask or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazybaldarcher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Purchased a mask after trying on one in the store and did all the tests like you're suppose to.

It fit really well while in fresh water for my open water dives, no leaks or bubbles.

Dived Hawaii last year and noticed problems with air escaping the skirt of the mask if more than one dive was done in a day. The bubbles would only show on the second dive.

Dived Grand Cayman recently and noticed when I did my 4th dive of the day that bubbles were streaming fairly steadily out of the skirt and if I turned my head to side the problem was even worst. There were a few times the feeling of having a flooded mask crept into mind. Not the "funnest" experience with salt water but training prepares us for that issue.

What do you believe is the issue, the mask is ill fitted, the mouthpiece is too big, or something else?

My wife has to use a small mouthpiece, if she doesn't she similar but not the same problems.

Mouthpiece? Is this a full face mask? Don’t know about those, but if a regular mask: common problems with mask seals include: hair under mask, part of hood trapped under mask, and smiling with “marionette lines” from aging. Some have mustache issues too ;-)

Possibly as the day wears on you simply exhale more out of your nose... it has to go somewhere

Yeah, I'm bald a cue ball so hair is not a problem for me.
I don't wear a hood and I know that you shouldn't smile while under water.
I shave every day before diving to ensure a good seal

I talked with my brother who is an experienced diver and he thought it might be residual salt crystals on the mask skirt and my face that are causing the leak.

Water in the mask is a fact of life.
Bubbles from your mask can only mean that you are exhaling through your nose, probably the first thing you'd subconsciously do if you feel your mask is flooding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom