I'm a Tweeter. You're a Tweeter. So, let's get together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubameg

Mermaid
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Twitter profile.JPG
As a marketing consultant, I frequently get the question “What’s this Twitter thing all about?” To be honest, it wasn't too long ago that I had the same question, and I know I’m not the only marketing professional to feel the same way. After all, Social Media Marketing is a relatively new medium. Facebook, created in 2004, is less than a decade old, and Twitter didn't hit the web until 2006!

Read more

Look, I still have a flip phone. It's waterproof and I pay wayyyy more for them than I would a smartphone, because the model I prefer is long out of production.

Frank is happily stuck in the dark ages....

Too bad Wookie. You are fun here on ScubaBoard. I could only imagine what you'd have to say on Twitter! If you change your mind and need some help, let me know!

On of the best things about Twitter is that you can do it right here on ScubaBoard in our Scuba specific areas. You can twit (or facebook) great comments about you and your business.

View attachment 153688
As a marketing consultant, I frequently get the question “What’s this Twitter thing all about?” To be honest, it wasn't too long ago that I had the same question, and I know I’m not the only marketing professional to feel the same way. After all, Social Media Marketing is a relatively new medium. Facebook, created in 2004, is less than a decade old, and Twitter didn't hit the web until 2006!

Read more

I have to say that I would "like" to figure out how I could use Twitter.... I have posted / Tweeted on diving issues, but as far as I can tell, I would have to actually PAY TO ADVERTISE in order to get a significant audience FOLLOWING me on Twitter. That would not be a problem, if I thought that Twitter was even a fraction as valuable as Facebook for Dive Tourism..... I would love to hear reasons from you that show me the light, and for me to "Get Twitter", and see the value.
My problems with it aside from the issues of gaining followers.....
  1. I don't know that I like the idea of putting a value on bad English, poor writing skills, and communication based around using only 140 characters( or whatever)...It just feels like this is the opposite of human evolution.
  2. Sharing awesome underwater images is part of the whole Scuba Lifestyle.....while you "can" tweet a photo for people to see on their phone....I would "rather" they saw the image in much higher quality on their Desktop, or even Surface Pro or Ipad. Sharing phone quality images helps the dive destinations with mediocre marine life, as the whole playing field of image excitement is lowered dramatically with phone images as the standard fare. I love the idea of "Kodak Moments" with Instagrams and FB, and this is great on a cell phone....but if we get people thinking that this is a PRIMARY way to share image experiences, we de-evolve....Case in point.....Music in the late 70's and 80's with high end record cartridges and high end amps and speakers....the actual music that could be reproduced then by a home stereo, was of much higher quality than you get today....the CD and digital version, has lost the transients that were part of the live sound...the sampling rates are too low, and then add the idea of people compressing everything down to nasty sounding Mp3's, playing them on ear buds, and you have low quality music, masquerading as the norm.... this de-evolution, is what I don't like about the impetus for using Twitter....

So please straighten me out on this :)

hi guys

i do follow this Twitter discussion rather sceptically. allthough i do have a twitter account, too. the main reason why i publish diving related things through that channel is more or a search engine thing. Twitter gives me the possibility to target specific keywords and therefore promote particular interests. the final goal is certainly to get people on your website where the real information lies. with a Twitter feed integrated on the website (which is frequently visited by the G-engine) this helps me to position the page where i want it.

if the argument is that it is most likely not as valuable as Facebook: i totally agree. as a tool Twitter only is what i just mentioned above. position yourself and create visibility.

of course you are more then welcome to visit me anyway on Twitter, Facebook or directly. ;-)

thom

For most twitterers... getting more people to their website is not the goal. After all, they don't sell "internet". For them, they simply want more business and that can come from an increased presence just about anywhere including ScubaBoard, Facebook, Twitter or their own site.

For most twitterers... getting more people to their website is not the goal. After all, they don't sell "internet". For them, they simply want more business and that can come from an increased presence just about anywhere including ScubaBoard, Facebook, Twitter or their own site.
So you are saying, that the use for Twitter in Diving, would be at 7am in the morning, to get more divers on a 9am trip on a boat..or more divers into a store for an air special or something?

You would NEVER expect it to figure into a diver deciding to visit Cayman rather than Cozumel, due to Twitter posts ???

Rameus - it sounds like you have a good handle on Social Media Marketing in general...The goal is to attract attention to your business by connecting with those that share an interest, and drive traffic to your business/website. Twitter, with 554,750,000 active registered Twitter users (source: Twitter Statistics | Statistic Brain), it is certainly a good resource to do it.

danvolker - I would be happy to help you figure out Twitter, but it would require a lot of typing to do it here. In a nutshell, to build a following, you need to make yourself known and participate on Twitter. In just two months, my DuckDiver Twitter account went from zero followers to 352 without spending a dime. You are welcome to contact me for a one-on-one consultation, or wait for one of my next blogs on building a following. As for your other issues with Twitter, times change whether we want it to or not. If you would rather not participate on Twitter and focus your efforts in other ways, go for it! Nobody said you have to do it all in order to be successful. This blog was focused on Twitter because I have had many people ask me about it lately, and it is my personal favorite...at the moment.

NetDoc - Using content from ScubaBoard is a very good example of sharing interesting content on Twitter. I share ScubaBoard content on a regular basis, but it is important to remember that you should share a variety of content with your followers. Don't use just one source.

Most of all, don't let it become one-sided and impersonal...Don't forget about the "social" in Social Media!

i agree with you that FB or Scubaboard in particular help you push get into the "visible" area of Google. my Twitter approach is - as said - to generate traffic on my page. this supports my efforts here on SB and on FB with all the work i do there. the goal is obviously visibility.
of course it's not "internet" you sell on the page BUT: if you manage your backlinks well and steer the keywords in your direction it works. so you can gently steer search engines to recognise you as a source of trustworthy information and in the same time raise your rankings.

thom

Back
Top Bottom