I'm a Tweeter. You're a Tweeter. So, let's get together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan,

Social Media should be approached with a long range vision. Trying to fill up a class short term sounds a lot like how many spammers used fax machines. It can be very counterproductive.

Rameus - it sounds like you have a good handle on Social Media Marketing in general...The goal is to attract attention to your business by connecting with those that share an interest, and drive traffic to your business/website. Twitter, with 554,750,000 active registered Twitter users (source: Twitter Statistics | Statistic Brain), it is certainly a good resource to do it.

thanks for the flowers ;-) this SEM/SEO thing together with social media marketing come kind of with the job... but i just "relived" this startup phase with my new page now when i had to start from zero again (ok some 301 from my old page) starting on 1. april and having ~700 unique visitors with 20k hits in the first month - i'm happy with the way it works at the moment.

in general this discipline in marketing is in my opinion just way underrated still but will have some potential in the near future - especially for leisure activity business since this is less of a CI/CD trimmed area where you have to follow strict information policies.

thom

Dan,

Social Media should be approached with a long range vision. Trying to fill up a class short term sounds a lot like how many spammers used fax machines. It can be very counterproductive.
Pete,
I get that. You know how I like to exaggerate things in defining them :)
So let me ask you my issue, rather than an analogy.... So let's say YOU are promoting Cozumel with Facebook and Scubaboard. Does Twitter have a benefit, in getting uninformed divers to find out why they should give Cozumel a try?
Would your primary use of Twitter be to try to send Twitter users to see a post on FB or SB ? If not that, then what?

In the grand scheme of things, ScubaBoard, other forums and youtube are the best places to promote a destination or a business. Why? They are Google friendly and most people research things via Google or other search engines. The time you spend creating content needs to have more than the two minute shelf life provided by Facebook or Twitter. In my opinion, Facebook is best used to jump start the popularity of your content. In other words, use it to direct traffic to your content that is on a Google friendly platform. Twitter is best when used to establish a professional following. I use Twitter, albeit not enough, to create an image for "NetDoc". In other words I use it, along with ScubaBoard and Facebook to establish credibility for my personal abilities. I also use LinkedIn for this task as well as networking. I like it better since it can also be Googled.

Just like Scuba gear, not everyone uses these media in the same ways. That's OK, but I find that there are a number or ways to abuse the media and most people would agree with me on this. The biggest abuse is in using them only to sell trips and/or gear. This is the same thing that happened with fax machines and with email. People don't want to be deluged with offer after offer and they call it spam. They want to be entertained. There are very creative ways to entertain and still provide a bit of clandestine advertisement. No, it doesn't have to be subliminal, but it can't be the primary or even the secondary message delivered. It truly has to be a soft sell. That's why the best media is created by your clients. Any praise or links given by them simply won't taint the fun of the message. Look at this youtube video Elena's students made about their Divemaster gear exchange. We provide free training for all REEF.org and Coral Restoration interns. They do so much for the Keys that we feel it's the least we can do to give back to the community. Being young, they like to document the fun that they are having and they don't mind helping out those who help them. No, this isn't Twitter, but you can be sure it will be promoted there soon enough.

Tell me that didn't make you smile! The girls asked Elena to shoot the video for them, but they did all the rest including posting it on Youtube. The next steps are for her students to post this on ScubaBoard with a dive report and yes, Elena has asked them to do just that. Then Elena will come in with words of praise & thanks and then she'll facebook and twitter the crap out of it. That's easy Social Marketing and it's a strategy that won't piss off your potential clients. Fortunately, ScubaBoard has made this spectacularly easy to do. We've established a great platform for you to post on and get your clients to post on, We've added a "Share Button" at the bottom right of all posts in our Scuba Zones. We've even added a "short URL" button just for Twitter. See how easy that is? Rather than spending a lot of time that will evaporate in a day with either Facebook or Twitter, spend it on Google Friendly platforms and then bump start them with both with Twitter and Facebook. Even better, get your clients to do this and then capitalize on it. Does that make more sense now?

Back
Top Bottom