I'm looking for a new career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tony71

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im new to this site and to diving. I havent even taken my first class yet. Not long ago I decided that I really need to find a new career. Ive been doing tool and die work for 20 yrs. now and its really time for a change. I though hard and long and decided that i am going to try to find a position in scuba diving. I know ill love it. My wife is very excited about it also, she wants to dive too.
I know its not going to make me rich or anything and I know its probably going to be pretty damn hard but thats ok. Im in a position were I can relocate easy and change my lifestyle accordingly. If anybodys got advice or think they can stear me in a good direction, im all ears. Wish me luck!

Tony,

You will need to get a professional rating at some point to make diving a career. But try not to get in a real hurry. Diving is about the experience itself as much as anything else!!! In the PADI system that starts with the Divemaster Rating. There are half a dozen of so things you will have to achieve before getting to that point. First get in the water as much as possible. If you can afford it get a dry suit and learn to dive in the Great Lakes. You can do that almost year round. Your logbook will be fatter and more interesting. Second find a good dive buddy, somebody you trust, and will dive as much as you want to. Third, find a good shop. That alone will determine how much success you have. You need to feel like part of the family there. You will know it when you find it. They will guide you, mentor you, and hopefully turn you into a diver, not just someone who can do some tricks in the water. All really good diving professionals are divers first and then teachers.

After those few things, those by the way are the hardest, everything else will come naturally. To get to divemaster you need an Advanced Open Water Rating, a Rescue Diver Rating, 50 dives, and CPR and First Aid, by way of a Emergency First Responder Certification. Then Assistant Instructor on your way to Open Water Scuba Instructor. You can visit any PADI shop for more info but you are really looking for a 5 Star PADI shop if PADI is the way you decide to go. Your agency is important but not as important as who is in the shop. PADI and NAUI are probably the most common, but SSI and TDI are good as well.

Most importantly you need to have fun doing it! Like anything else, the best professionals are the ones that really love what they do. Your probably right about the money part, but a diving career is more about the people you interact with and the experiences you have! If you have any questions feel free to get in touch with me!

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom