I’m never using a BC again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
….for urchin removal dives anyway off the beach.

Yesterday (Sunday 10/15/2023) we did another purple urchin removal dive at Stillwater Cove in Sonoma County. Forget about the location though, it’s not about the location but more about large seas, breaking waves, shore surge and my gear choices to be able to best handle that.
Yesterday the cove did not live up to it’s name “Stillwater” It was anything but… it was sporty. There was a long interval south swell coming in plus a west swell forecasted at 4’-6’.
Combine that with an incoming tide and it was pretty healthy.
I looked at it for a while to see a pattern and finally decided to give it shot.
I didn’t bring my wing because I get sick if cleaning something that I don’t use anyway for these shallow dives. It’s just more wear and tear, possible urchin spine holes to fix, and I have to clean it.
I had to gear up fully on the beach with fins on and then side step into the water. As the sets came in I’d get low and brace myself, then as the water rushed out to sea again I’d walk more. As soon as I was about waist high I flopped in and went straight down to the bottom so the waves would go over me. I used my compass to make sure I was headed in the right direction. The surge pulled me out and I would haul ass like a drift dive, then when the surge would reverse direction I would grab a boulder and hang on so I wouldn’t lose ground. So basically I left all the drama on the surface and just went out underneath it all.
I went out, filled up my urchin bags, took a compass reading for shore and did the same thing back in. I went all the way in on the bottom and crawled out on hands and knees with reg in mouth Monastery style. I did raise the bags with a lift bag and float them in and was able to hang onto the bottom corner of one bag by a stainless carabeaner I had on it so I could stay under. As I approached the beach the surge and beach break took the bags away from me and shore support got them out.
I came to realize that a wing would have been counter productive for such a dive. Air in BC’s are a major factor in divers getting slammed on beaches. Now I know some if you lake and quarry divers are reading this and your eyes are glazing over, and some if you are shaking your heads thinking this guy is nuts! But it’s true.
So no more wings or bc for me on these dives. Don’t need it.
IMG_0896.jpeg
IMG_0926.jpeg

Neat dive report! Love the simplicity.

Hey! I want a couple extra slots on the bottom of my Freedom Plate, too! Much simpler than dealing with those weight keeper thingies to lock in the shoulder strap lengths.

18 lbs (= 3 * 3 * 2) weightbelt? I would need to use a rubber belt so that I could wear it low, on my hips (rather than on my waist). If I wear this much weight on my waist, I suffer an aching lower back.

ETA: What cylinder is that?

rx7diver

The wing is not counterproductive, you just don't leave any air in it when you are making your final approach to the beach. That is how many of our beach dives go. You get under as soon as possible when going out and you stay under as long as possible when coming in until you are able to stand up and walk out without getting tossed.

Curious, why are you taking the urchins out? You can just crush them and the fish will have a feast.

Curious, why are you taking the urchins out? You can just crush them and the fish will have a feast.
Culling isn't allowed in every location and they can sell/donate the urchins they harvest. Add to that any eggs missed by the fish would just end up being more urchins.

Culling isn't allowed in every location and they can sell/donate the urchins they harvest. Add to that any eggs missed by the fish would just end up being more urchins.
Would the inadvertently released eggs be any more than would be released naturally (if the urchins were not crushed)? I'm just curious. It sounds like so much work dragging heavy bags in, especially through the surf. Sounds like hell on the lift bags.

Would the inadvertently released eggs be any more than would be released naturally (if the urchins were not crushed)? I'm just curious. It sounds like so much work dragging heavy bags in, especially through the surf. Sounds like hell on the lift bags.
I’m glad you asked.
We are only allowed to cull (smash) urchins at two locations in California, one in Mendocino County and one in Monterey County. NOAA, CBMS, and UC Davis marine lab (kelp restoration office) closely monitor the actions of culling as far as keeping track of possible forced spawns and adding to the problem instead of helping at these two control sites. They have a team of scientific divers that do counts and monitor the activity.
Until they know for sure that culling is safe DFW will not authorize culling at any other locations.
I’m not going to violate that rule, not only because it’s illegal, but also because it’s disrespectful, selfish, and ignorant.
So, for now we are doing removal under recreational DFW laws which allows 40 gallons per person per day of whole purple urchins only, no other species of urchin does this apply to.
Yeah it’s a pain to drag bags of urchins up the beach and having to deal with them, but the reward will pay ten fold in returns when we see kelp actually come back and be restored. But then our work will have only begun, we will need to protect that kelp and keep the urchins away from it so it will have a chance to spawn itself and spread spores all around to other coves and to rocks down as far as 80’ where it can form a hold fast and grow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom