I'm new and curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tristin

Reaction score
Im 16 and i have resently got an interest in scuba diving i am planing on taking my first course in about a month and wanted to just get advice and knowledge about the sport
thnx

Hello Tristin,
Welcome.
Get a all inclusive book on the subject. Read lots here. Wish that this existed way back when when I was 16. Great resourse. Just remember that what is writen on the web is writen by individuals who have there own opinions and biases. Try a lot of gear before you spend big money. Research before you spend, but realize that what you think you want and need will change with experience. Most of all be safe and have fun. Plan the dive and dive the plan. Good luck.

Greetings and welcome Tristin to SB! It is great to hear of your interest in scuba. From the sounds of it you have already began researching your local diving scene. This is very important for a couple of reasons. That is what makes diving awesome you can do it at home and on vacation! Start with local dive shops, dive clubs, etc. get the scoop on shops and the most important of all instructors. There are volumes of information here at SB but by far the biggest choice for a new diver is to find a instructor who you have confidence "trust" and feel comfortable. This makes a tremendous difference in your training and how much you will enjoy it. Do not be afraid to ask for references and call the people to talk it over! Ask about how patient and if private lessons are an option. The biggest advice I could give is to ease into diving, find a mentor, friend who dives and begin! Ask questions and practice skills over and over! Always be a SAFE diver and never stop learning! Diving is a way cool sport that can become a way of life!
Never stop dreaming and good luck with your journey! Keep us posted on your progress, if you need information of any kind just ask! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

hey everybody thanks for somegood advice, i was wandering tho if an all around sports store with a big diving section would have good info or if i should find a store that focuses souly on diving?

Find a dive shop. Face it ... in a "sporting goods store" carrying gear for a coupla dozen sports, what are your odds of finding a salesperson with real expertise in dive gear? You'll more likely run into someone making $6.25/hr who is totally clueless about diving and dive gear. Cruise all of the scuba forums, relax, find a mentor throught your local dive shop, relax, get your basic OW cert, relax, rent your gear at first, relax, and have some fun! Oh yeah .... relax!

hey everybody thanks for somegood advice, i was wandering tho if an all around sports store with a big diving section would have good info or if i should find a store that focuses souly on diving?

I would try the local library, they may actually have the biggest selections. If you really like a book, you can always order it from one of the online bookstores.

Hi Tristin,
Welcome to Scuba Board. It's a great place to get good friends and advice. As far as going to a specialty store like your Local Dive Store or a department in a large sports store, it depends on how the store is set up. There are many sports stores that have a specialized scuba departments within their stores. Sort of a dive store within a larger store. Sports Chalet in California and Bill Jacksons's in Florida come to mind. For many, these are their LDS. Others have a scuba section, but don't treat it as a separate specialty. In this case, a separate store would probably be a better idea.
While there is a wealth of information both here and in reading material, and it's good to explore them as much as possible, go with your parents to the local dive stores and check them out. Find the one(s) that are the friendliest and most helpful. Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. The staff should look forward to answering them. Same for your parents. It's important that they feel comfortable with the store also. Above all, you and your parents need to talk with your potential instructor(s) Again, you should feel good about the way they treat you and your parents should feel comfortable that this person is the one they want to trust teaching you. Believe me, this is a big issue with parents. Maybe your parents would even like to try a discover scuba class with you.
Don't get caught up with which agency the store uses. Despite numerous personal opinions you may read on which agency is best, the bottom line is that they are all good. Look for a good instructor, and when you find him/her stick with him/her.
Tristin, a big lifelong adventure awaits you. Please let us know how you make out, and how your lessons are going. Send us a few pics if you can.
Safe Diving
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom