I'm not COLD!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oside Jimc

Contributor
Reaction score
And I'm not wet either!
Well I got to dive my new dry suit today, so first I want to say THANKS to everybody that gave me advide during the order/purchase process (In particular Mike aka SoCalSwami). I ended up with a TLS350 signature series with rock boots. I dove it in the pool Wednesday night to learn how to use it, very nice, after hearing phrases like "now you get to learn to dive all over again" I was a little aprehensive, but no worries, it felt really good, no problems with control even when I had to hover 1' off the bottopm and hold 1" while I swan from the deep end to 3', no issues, never broke the surface with a fin. Learned all the disaster recovery drills, only issue I had with the "floating up by the feet" was a little nausea from sommersaults, OK so I flunked gymnastics.

So today I took a ride on the Marissa, since I lack a regular dive buddy and I didn't want to be a lame instabuddy in the event I had suit issues I went ahead and paid for a private divemaster, Steve was very cool and took good care of me.

First dive was the "Lazy Daze" (sp?), totally cool, and yet not cool, I was warm for a change! What a great dive, besides the depth it was a nice easy dive, lots of life, nudi city for sure. about 20' viz, little surge, a fun relaxing way to test dive the new suit. I was able to do the whole dive just using my suit for bouyancy, and for sure it felt a little wierd having that bubble moving around. When the computer said it was time to go I ascended next to the anchor chain "Just in case", but there was no issue whatsoever. A nice steady free ascent, held the safety stop like a champ so it looks like my weighting is spot on (+4 from my wetsuit weight, 12 total on the belt) so right on! The SI was enjoyable for a change too.

Dive 2 was "Broomtail reef", at 25'-35' and with a building swell this dive was more of a challenge, just your typical dive in the washing machine with 5'-10' viz. Lots of depth changes that were enough I had to deal with them but no worries, just lift the left arm to sink, push the magic button to not sink. Only issue I had was once I got inverted looking under a ledge and felt the air rush to my feet, but since my bouyancy was right no issues, just got my feet back down so the air went back to where it belonged and voila, back in business. Lots of lobsters here, a couple of legals, but probably 2 dozen shorts. But after 40 minutes of watching the bottem sway back and forth and getting tossed around I had enough, I was getting sea sick.

All in all I"m a super happy guy, I do have to sort out my fin situation, I bought a pair of 2XL turtles, but they were solidly stuck to my feet at the end of the dives, may need to go 1 size down on the rockboots (these also seem a little big).

Awesome, awesome news! Sounds like a couple great dives....being warm on a dive in cold waters is kinda crazy, huh? Now that we are both newly minted drysuit divers, we'll have to get together and actually get a dive in as buddies! Going out to try mine out again tomorrow. Rumor has it, things get easier and more natural every dive (good thing, cause getting my fins on was not the most graceful thing I've done....in fact, there was a bit of flailing!).

I'm so glad you're happy with your decision to get the drysuit and that you love it after diving with it! Let's get out there and dive sometime soon!

Nice work Jim! Sounds like your first DS experience was a great one, you are one of the lucky few. I used to have a suit that was too large, then had it tailored it and it was too small. After getting a proper fitting suit it took me about 8 dives to dial it in.

Just wait till you do your first beach dive with it, the feeling of the surf rushing past your feet but not getting wet is totally weird!

Best of luck and remember not to get too overconfident especially with new equipment, I made that mistake once and learned my lesson.

Ohh yeah... Congrats!!! Getting new gear that will definitely improve your diving skills is always a good thing.

Billy

BTW, nice thread title! :rofl3:

Welcome to the DS club! It is nice to look forward to diving in cold water now, right?!

Let's get out there and dive sometime soon!

Did have one small glitch yesterday, my secondary reg was laeking so I had to borrw one from the boat to dive, so my regs have to go in for service, once I get them back I'll be good to go! Of course if this is going to take time I could rent a reg set I suppose, I'm really eager to do this again!

Welcome to the DS club! It is nice to look forward to diving in cold water now, right?!

Absolutely! Best part will not be looking at a 2nd dive with dread.

And I'm not wet either! Only issue I had was once I got inverted looking under a ledge and felt the air rush to my feet, but since my bouyancy was right no issues, just got my feet back down so the air went back to where it belonged and voila, back in business.

After 25 years of diving in the warm So.Cal waters [(clearing throat) hmm, hmm, Dave] I also did my first DS diving this weekend! Great isn't it!? :wink:

The water here was a little colder though. I was getting a little chilled in the feet and began to think, hmm, I wonder if a little more air would help, so I raised my feet to get the air to inflate my boots. Cool! (err, warm!) The DI here suggested I carry @ 30 lbs. of lead. I about croaked! I told him I never weighted so heavy and he winked and said, you get to add more air to your suit that way! So in water just barely about freezing, we had no problems. I will be taking the ice-diver courses if all goes as planned. When I get back to O'side some time, I look you up and we can go for some dives!

I actually had a good laugh when we were suiting up. The air temp was around 20. I said out loud, "Can't wait to get in the water where the temp is higher." One guy asked (seriously), "How do you know it is warmer in the water? We haven't even gotten in to check the temperature yet?" :confused:

I looked at him to see if he was serious and he was! :rofl3:

I said, "Well Bob*, water generally gets pretty hard if the temperature falls below 32!" :D

True story, gotta love it!

*name changed so Americans cold pronounce it! (also because he is really BIG and might read this post!) :D

Attachments

• IMG_0558 (1).jpg
    IMG_0558 (1).jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 29
I'm not cold either... I decided NOT to dive in my 3/2mm today because the sky was partially overcast and the wind would have gone right through my wetsuit. Instead I spent the entire day on an extended surface interval chatting with new divers. Had a great time and I was toasty all day.

Seriously, congrats on acquiring the drysuit. The day is coming when I will get the one Pete gave me patched and learn to dive in warmth (aren't those two words contradictory?).

congrats on the drysuit! may it bring you many many warm and safe dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom