I'm not concerned. . .but should I be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much to everyone so far. . . I can't say how releiving it is to actually have a place to talk to people about this instead of just telling myself not to worry.

It is great to have a resource of fellow divers for a sounding board but, with that said, if you think you have a legit problem it's best to consult a doctor or DAN right away. Beware of self proclaimed experts on the internet. I had an incident many, many years ago in which I thought I may be bent, I called DAN and even though I was not a member at the time (I am now) they were extremely helpful and sent me to a neurologist who was able to alleviate my concerns, no amount of divers on the internet could have done that. I'm certainly not knocking Scubaboard as an excellent diving resource, just saying when it comes to medical issues it's best to consult a trained professional.

As I said above: "If the wound looks worse the morning after, go to ER and/or call DAN." It's fine to call DAN only to be told there is nothing to worry about, but if every any doubt at all...!
Interesting, care to site any incidents because I doubt seriously "several fisherman" die every year from this.
Here are a few articles. Excerpting from each...

Houston Chronicle Outdoors column: Commentary: This saltwater bacteria is deadly | Science & Technology > Life Forms from AllBusiness.com
Working as a reporter at a mid-size newspaper on the Gulf Coast, I heard about a local fisherman who had died a horrible death from an amazingly aggressive infection. Doctors who treated the
man told the family the infection had been caused by a bacteria living in saltwater, and the guy had contracted the pathogen while fishing.

Marsh Death, Vibrio vulnificus
marsh-death_03.jpg
A Lafayette outdoorsman never had a chance, really, to save the fingers on his left hand last summer because he was unaware of a killer invisible to the naked eye, a deadly bacteria that thrives in warm, quiet salt water.

Vibrio vulnificus - Infection Threat in Saltwater - HOSSFLY - The Historic Ocean Springs Saltwater Flyfishing Club
Vibrio vulnificus - Infection Threat in Saltwater
Aug 24, 2009 at 11:29 AM
Submitted by Tom Herrington

Are you aware that you may be at risk in a saltwater or brackish water environment?

Vibrio vulnificus can cause an infection of the skin when open wounds are exposed to warm seawater. FDA and CDC collaborates with Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi to routinely monitor the number of cases of V. vulnificus in the Gulf Coast region. Studies have shown that people with chronic liver disease and who are otherwise immunocompromised are 80 times more likely than healthy people to develop a potentially fatal V. vulnificus bloodstream infection - primary septicemia.

Skin and soft-tissue infections after injury in th... [Mil Med. 1999] - PubMed result
Skin and soft-tissue infections after injury in the ocean: culture methods and antibiotic therapy for marine bacteria.

Reed KC, Crowell MC, Castro MD, Sloan ML.

Microbiology Division, U.S. Naval Hospital Okinawa, Japan.

Isolated organisms from two common Indo-Pacific marine animals (Echinometra mathaei urchins and Acanthaster planci sea stars) likely to cause puncture wounds to recreational beachcombers, diverse, or operational military forces during amphibious assaults demonstrate why practitioners should consider their first choice for potential antibiotic therapy differently from their usual favorite antibiotics. The effects of thiosulfate-citrate-bile-sucrose (TCBS) agar, varying salt concentrations in the standard media, and comparison of room temperature incubation versus use of the 30 degrees C (86 degrees F) incubator are reviewed. The yield of pathogenic marine bacteria is increased if TCBS agar is used and more than one temperature is used for incubation. A potentially significant human pathogen, Vibrio vulnificus, appears to be ubiquitous.

Necrotizing Fasciitis (Flesh-Eating Bacteria)-Topic Overview
You can get necrotizing fasciitis in:

* Wounds that come in contact with ocean water, raw saltwater fish, or raw oysters. You also can get it though injuries from handling sea animals such as crabs.

Man Infected With Flesh Eating Bacteria While Swimming In The Sea Off Texas
A 58 year old man who swam in the sea while on holiday in Galveston, Texas, risks losing a leg, and maybe his life, after being infected by the flesh-eating bacterium Vibrio vulnificus.

I am still searching for the article I really want here. Check back later.

I am still searching for the article I really want here. Check back later.

We can hardly wait, I was just pointing out that your statement about "several fisherman dying every year" was a bit unfounded (and melodramatic), not denying the existence of Vibrio Vulnificus. Relax Don, it wasn't a personal attack, just questioning the accuracy of a statement.

We can hardly wait, I was just pointing out that your statement about "several fisherman dying every year" was a bit unfounded (and melodramatic), not denying the existence of Vibrio Vulnificus. Relax Don, it wasn't a personal attack, just questioning the accuracy of a statement.
Still cannot find the recent article about numbers of fishermen dying on the coast yearly. Maybe my net searching skills are off? I find plenty of articles about V.vulnificus, and some others abut Staph and Strep from saltwater injuries, as well as too many about fish deaths and the Texas fisherman who hit a Confederate steamboat over the weekend and drowned. Pretty morbid searching.

This one is not as recent as I wanted to present, but excerpting from: LISTSERV 15.5 - SAFETY Archives
His is the 7th vibrio-related death in Texas in 2004, officials said. At least 12 Texans have been injured by the cholera-like bacteria as well, according to the Texas Department of Health.
I think we should PM Alohagirl from when she "cut her finger in cozumel" and let her know she's gonna die. .....
Her injury was flip flop & sidewalk related, also dangerous but not saltwater, and she was carried to ER immediately. (Tacky remark withdrawn with apologies)

I think we should PM Alohagirl from when she "cut her finger in cozumel" and let her know she's gonna die. .....

Her injury was flip flop & sidewalk related, also dangerous but not saltwater, and she was carried to ER immediately. Besides, good luck on telling her anything.

oh man! not those dreaded flip-flops again! :shocked2:

I hear that drinking tea and wearing flip-flops is a real no no. :shocked2:

Hmmm, was that a shot?
Tacky remark withdrawn with apologies. :blush:
Yeah well, that's what caused her injury. Excellent for shower shoes and light beach wear, but no support for street wear plus more exposing. Go barefoot instead; at least you'll watch where you're stepping. I like my $5/pair wallyworld beach shoes.

Back
Top Bottom