I'm so EXCITED :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I have been wanting to learn to dive for many years, but never found anybody who shared my interest. I finally found a "Buddy". I found a LDS that teaches under SSI, & can do it in my timeframe. I live in Chicago & there are NO SSI facilities close. I am going to travel to the Tampa area to take my OW class in May. I am also planning a dive trip to Curacao in November & cannot wait. Just wanted to say hello & I am so happy to FINALLY be joining in the fun & excitement of diving.

Welcome to Scuba. Enjoy your training and your trip to Curacao. Once you start diving, you will really catch the bug and start planning all your vacations around diving.

Safe diving!

Welcome to the board! Is there a reason you want to do SSI? PADI is more widespread and I'd be very surprised if there was not a PADI shop nearby.

I'm confused by the statement that you found an LDS that teaches SSI, followed by the statement that there are no SSI facilities near you. :confused: By LDS do you mean the one in Tampa (which wouldn't really be a "Local" Dive Shop).

Either way, welcome to the board...lots of useful info here. :)

Their right you will catch the Bug. I did my ow certification november 2006 in Jamaica Bay, Queens NY. If you can catch the bug there you can catch it anywhere.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

DivingPrincessE, The reason I chose SSI was because their OW cert is a bit more technical & thorough from what I have read on the boards here. I do mean in Tampa, that is where my "Buddy" lives, & since there were none here, I am going there to learn together. I spoke to the instructor, who has been an instructor for 12 years, & has instructed for both SSI & PADI. From the people I have spoken to, the SSI program would be a better fit for me. I am certainly not trying to slam PADI, I just feel SSI is a better fit for "me".

Ok, makes sense now. Good luck with the course, it's good you seem to do a lot of research...it will serve you well in this sport!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom