I'm so tired of Suunto's "quality"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ak3141

Registered
Reaction score
suunto.jpeg

Anyone knows how to fix this?

A few options....

1. Return if under warranty.
2. Glue if not.
3. Sell- use the money towards a 'standard' ($200) computer.
4. Keep as a backup and buy a 'standard' computer.
5. Stay away from the D4/6/9's etc. as they're expensive for what they are.

6. Buy a standard computer. The true and tried Suunto entry-level models (Gecko/Zoop/Vyper etc.) are great IMO for any recreational-depth diver... like myself for example.

The post title suggests you have had other problems with Suunto. Is that the case? I haven't had that experience myself - I used a Vytec for 7 years, then sold it to buy a (used) HeLO2 that I still use, and both have performed well. But, experiences vary.

I think supergaijin's list summarizes the options (and I personally very much agree with, '5. Stay away from the D4/6/9's etc. as they're expensive for what they are.') Is the unit still under warranty?

Glue it on or send it back to Suunto.

Beware their customer service. I had a well used Zoop that finally crapped out on me. It was mailed back for service and they had the nerve to replace it with a whole new computer!

The post title suggests you have had other problems with Suunto. Is that the case? ...

Yes. First problem was with time. It runs forward 5 seconds a day. Suunto fixed this after 4 (yes, four!!!) attempts. Now warranty is finished.

It looks much cleaner to me that way, I'd leave it alone :D.

Why not just call Suunto and ask what to do? Though out of warranty I would start the call off with - "I am calling about my D9 that I sent back previously because of accuracy issues. While rinsing after a dive the "bezel" came off. I am not sure what to do"

Mentioning the previous issue might help given it is out of warranty.

I had an issue with the Vyper's depth sensor.

I used it for 35 dives in the Galapagos, left it alone for 2 years (after having cleaned it properly, and it was inside a cupboard, shaded and with dry air). Then turned it on a few months later, and boom - I apparently was diving at 12.4 meters. Nothing I could do - it wouldn't budge out of dive mode, not even after a real dive. Stayed like this for a week or so, until I finally had time to go to the Israeli representative of Suunto, Dugit (דוגית, http://www.dugit.co.il).

I read on-line that depth sensor issues are common with Suuntu Vyper's, and that Suuntu had increased the warranty period from 2 years to 5 years for such depth sensor issues. But - this was in the US of A, and I'm located in Israel.

The people in Dugit were helpful and very nice, but they explained to me that usually Suuntu offer a major discount or a trade-in for a different model in such cases, as they think the 5 years thing indeed doesn't apply in Israel. But - they'll check what they can do, after talking to Suuntu.

That same day they called me and told me that I can come and get a new one Vyper instead. So, that was good.

However, I was blown away by the fact that a 2.5 years old, barely used dive computer can become faulty out of the blue, after not having touched water for more than 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom