I'm starting to have dive withdrawals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone else having this problem too? Haven't been in the water for several months and just itching to get back in? I don't think I've dived since September, and normally I dive multiple times every month, so I feel like I'm about ready to have a seizure or go into convulsions from withdrawal. :p

Paramedic school is sucking the life out of me.

</rant>

For me it's been a busy period and December seems to be an easy month to be distracted with. In this climate a dive a month until the sun gets high in ths sky again (March/April) works for me. I have other winter interests that fill the void and make diving fresh for me in the spring.

It should be intersting to contrast this thread with the recent one on diver burnout.

Pete

Anyone else having this problem too? Haven't been in the water for several months and just itching to get back in? I don't think I've dived since September, and normally I dive multiple times every month, so I feel like I'm about ready to have a seizure or go into convulsions from withdrawal. :p

</rant>

Several months... that's a major bummer. I was having withdrawals after just being skunked from bad conditions and that just lasted 2 weeks. Ever since I started free-diving a few years back I've been diving pretty much every other week. But since this last summer when I got my scuba open water certification every other week seems too long. Living in Los Angeles with tons of A-holes packed into little cubicles on a giant grid of endless crap, diving is the only relief I can get. I'm sure once you get finished with school it will be all worth it. I've got a friend that just finished his EMT training and he says it was the most rewarding experience of his life. Kudo's to you for putting your scuba passion on the side to receive training that will better protect the whole community. :santa3:

I know how you feel. I had a bit of surgery last month (nothing serious...just annoying), and I can't wait to get underwater SOON. Luckily, that shouldn't be much of a problem...except the cold. Brrrrr.
I also know what you mean about the classes. I distinctly remember the same feeling when I went through EMT school. Hang in there, though.

</rant>

I know what you mean; paramedic school does suck the life out of you! But it's only for a relatively short while....and then it'll be over, and you'll have time to go diving again.

One of my dive buddies is just finishing paramedic school....I don't think he dove once during the year long course.

</rant>

That sucks! :depressed: I haven't had longer than a week between dives for a long time, and even that is too long sometimes so a few months would be *horrible*.

Have you got any dive trips planned soon? A few of my cousins are at paramedic school but are on holidays now... but I am guessing the US might have different semesters!

Anyway, hang in there and I hope you get out soon!

I haven't been diving since September, and I've had to cancel some planned dives since then.

I had some weird heart palpitations, and I'm still getting checked out. It sure would be nice if the doctors treated it with some sense of urgency. On the other hand, none of them have said, "why don't you lie down here and think calm thoughts? I'll just step out and make a quick phone call -- no, no, nothing to worry about, please don't stress yourself -- and get someone to getyouanambulanceridetothehospital?"

So it's unlikely that I'll get to dive again this year.

Thanks for the words of support guys. I know it's temporary, just doesn't change the fact that it sucks in the meantime since diving kicks too much ass to not miss it. :p

I know what you mean; paramedic school does suck the life out of you! But it's only for a relatively short while....and then it'll be over, and you'll have time to go diving again.

One of my dive buddies is just finishing paramedic school....I don't think he dove once during the year long course.

I don't think I'll be that worse off, I will be diving at the end of December since I'll be on break from both UCD and P-school and then I'll be done with the didactic portion of P-school on July 14 (already be out of UCD by then), so I'm going to channel islands after that, but two trips in over half a year is definitely better than not diving once, eesh.

That sucks! :depressed: I haven't had longer than a week between dives for a long time, and even that is too long sometimes so a few months would be *horrible*.

Have you got any dive trips planned soon? A few of my cousins are at paramedic school but are on holidays now... but I am guessing the US might have different semesters!

Anyway, hang in there and I hope you get out soon!

Yeah, I'm going to go to Monterey at the end of December (weather permitting) and then at the end of July I'm going to do a liveaboard in the Channel Islands, but that's about it. We actually don't have semesters or quarters at my paramedic school, its a private institution, so it's essentially 7 months straight except for a few holidays here and there. We're obviously getting Christmas break (thank god), but other than that, we don't get spring break or anything like that so not necessarily the same structure as a normal public or private school. :)

I haven't been diving since September, and I've had to cancel some planned dives since then.

I had some weird heart palpitations, and I'm still getting checked out. It sure would be nice if the doctors treated it with some sense of urgency. On the other hand, none of them have said, "why don't you lie down here and think calm thoughts? I'll just step out and make a quick phone call -- no, no, nothing to worry about, please don't stress yourself -- and get someone to getyouanambulanceridetothehospital?"

So it's unlikely that I'll get to dive again this year.

Eh, well you're making a good decision by not diving again until you get that resolved. Sounds like you need to go see a cardiologist. Although your post makes it sound like you've seen more than one doctor, so perhaps you've already seen one, but I'd get a second opinion if you have indeed already seen a cardiologist. Palpitations are not something to be screwed off since they can cause dysrhythmias which can cause inability to live...I'm surprised the doctors are so disinterested in that. Do you have Kaiser? That'd explain it. :/

</rant>
dude...i feel your pain. i have the shakes its so bad. its been august since i've gotten wet, and i most likely won't get back to big blue until march or so. the queeziness gets me everytime i see a glass of water. i have been having to "dry breathe" off of my reg just for a little relief. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom