frog kick technique tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylee_ann

crazy diver
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. Not sure if this is where to post this but it was my best guess.
So I haven't dived in about a year but when I did, I recall working on frog kicks sometimes. When I did, it was either I would inadvertently do a back kick or wouldn't go anywhere. Has anyone else struggled with learning this kick and do you have any advice on drills for the technique? The only kick I really know well is a modified flutter which I use because it doesn't kick up any silt or damage stuff. But it's quite annoying that I can't seem to get this. I'm diving again hopefully by the end of September, pending finances and finding a dive buddy, and this is one of the first things I want to perfect after refreshing on all the skills I knew.
Thanks!

Work on it on land. Going through the motions in front of a mirror has helped many.

Go down to a pond and watch frogs do it, it’s a push more than a kick. You can easily work on the technique in the pool doing laps, don’t scull so much on the set up try to keep the fin flat as you move it through the water and them turn it for the push.

pool work is the best bet.

But it's quite annoying that I can't seem to get this.
The frog kick is not a very natural movement for human beings, i.e. it is not a way we would normally move our legs. If you have not had a lot of swimming instruction, or done a lot of swimming you probably don't have any muscle memory of what a proper frog kick feels like. Instead of trying to learn the frog kick as part of scuba diving with fins on, you might try to learn the frog kick by swimming instead. Take a swimming class at the local ymca, ask the instructor to work on the frog kick specifically. This will help with technique and conditioning. Then, practice and practice, and then introduce the fins with mask and snorkel. Generally speaking the more comfortable you are as a swimmer, the more comfortable you are in the water, the more comfortable you will be as a diver.

The pressure should be felt on the bottom of your toes.

Just try to feel for the point where you feel the most resistance to push yourself forward. It's not that hard. It's better to go by feel than to try and do a certain movement you've seen on video or in person. Than swim closely over a platform or sandy floor to check if you don't drop your knees. No need to do extra training dive, just practice while on a normal dive.

Sidemount.com has a really good tutorial, but I've found that if you consciously try to "clap the palms of your feet," that usually works...

Have someone take video of what you're doing when you practice - that will help you see what you're doing right and wrong.

Just try to feel for the point where you feel the most resistance to push yourself forward. It's not that hard. It's better to go by feel than to try and do a certain movement you've seen on video or in person. Than swim closely over a platform or sandy floor to check if you don't drop your knees. No need to do extra training dive, just practice while on a normal dive.
It's embarrassing to bomb it during a dive when I wouldn't just go to the surface immediately after for tips lmao, but ya know what, nothing will ever be perfect. So looking absolutely horrible is just a part of learning- after all, if I can't get it during that dive, I can still kick to where I don't stir things up/damage them
Sidemount.com has a really good tutorial, but I've found that if you consciously try to "clap the palms of your feet," that usually works...

Have someone take video of what you're doing when you practice - that will help you see what you're doing right and wrong.
Ooh that's an awesome idea, seeing what is wrong. Then I know exactly what to fix! Next time I dive I'll likely go to a pool to test the gear before fully diving; I'll ask my buddy to help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom