I'm the Pariah again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's a pretty silly statement. .

* Please see silly smiley face that appears after my statement. Silly smiley face denotes silly statement.

Dive knowledge =$3.50
Sense of Humor = Priceless

I have the sudden urge to take a picture...of a doctor...being berated by a captain...while standing on a pedestal. But dammit...I have NO idea which camera will be best for this!

As long as the lighting and composition are good it shouldn't really matter...Use a shoe box...

Last edited:
I have the sudden urge to take a picture...of a doctor...being berated by a captain...while standing on a pedestal. But dammit...I have NO idea which camera will be best for this!

Nominated for best post in the thread!

Damn right!

If you want to be pretentious, go ski.

Oh, snap. Now it's on!

Damn right!

If you want to be pretentious, go ski.
Like skiing isnt an expensive sport that doesnt need to be pretentious..
My skiing clothing more expensive than my DRYsuit and the rest of the equipment aint cheap either, not to mention lift cards, food at skicenters and so on..

Then again, atleast I actually actively USE it when at the slopes instead of sitting halfway up the hill posing my gear all day...

If I could get all my scuba exposure protection, plus tanks, from SteepAndCheap at 75% off I'd be one happy diver. That's what I've done for my ski gear. Everything but boots..

In regard to doctors --

Way back when I was a professional photographer I did a lot of work around doctors and invariably the conversation would sooner or later turn to them questioning me about what's the best camera to take the best pictures. Doctors all would relate the same stories to me, "I used to have Nikons but then Canon came out with so and so, so I bought all Canons, or the complete opposite which would be they had all Canons and they'd just bought all Nikons" And when they say they bought them, they were always talking about purchases of 15-20K, buying complete systems.

My answer to their question about which camera takes the best pictures was always the same, the camera is irrelevant, its all about the person behind the camera. I'd explain further that so and so has photographs hanging in the Met that were taken with a pin hole camera being nothing more than a shoe box with a hole in one end and a photographic plate taped to the other end. The doctors would always listen, shake their heads in agreement and then return to their question, but do you like Nikons or Canons better? I saw an article saying Nikon's this or that lens was the sharpest lens you could buy.... There was no getting through to them, they were convinced that all they needed was the magic camera and they'd get better pictures.

In regard to doctors further I'll throw this out -- If doctors are so perfect it wouldn't be the norm to always seek a 2nd opinion. :D

Replace "Doctor" with any other highly paid profession, you might get the same responses.

People with more money than sense will always expect that spending larger amounts of money on photography will yield better results.

Well, as its gone that way..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom