I'm thinking about getting into scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scooba diver

Reaction score
I live in Santa Barbara CA and im thinking about getting into scuba diving because it just looks like so much fun :D
I dont know much about it (except for i have to get a license), I dont know which equiptment i should get
I only have about
$400 to spend i dont know if thats enough to get me started :(
Maybe i can get used equiptment,
thanks for looking

:scuba:

I can tell you are because its worth it. You can byuy used and when you decide that you love it you can buy better. Good luck. If you have any questions just ask I m sure you have a lot.

I just got some new gear in and cant wait to test it out.

U can get some gear pretty cheap but make sure its in safe working order, your best bet might be to go to your LDS (local dive shop) they will get you all set up for your budet also ask about a discover scuba class, you can rent there gear and they will take you on a dive, well worth the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

i heard that in San Diego they can put you cage and let the great white sharks come on much on it Do i need to be expeirenced to do that? any one know about this?
And I'm kinda wierd cause i only like to stuff that scares me (I.E. im scared of hights and i rockclimb), i have a huge fear of the ocean so i think ill enjoy this (i think its just the adrenaline) but i also like exploring and stuff. :)
Thanks again for looking

thanks scubapete :D
Ive been to my local dive shop and i think there just a really expensive place :(
But ill check out some more in town

Check out your LDS they will hook you up=-)

When you decide what you like and have a good idea what you need/afford you can buy online at leisurepro.com they are a lot cheaper than your lds but you have to find what you want
Find a dive buddy and you will learn alot there too.

Buy the fins, mask and snorkle from your LDS. Get your open water certification and see if you like it. If you do, go diving and learn about the equipment. You can worry later about spending your money.

There's a great fleat of boats in SB: http://www.truthaquatics.com/

You'll have really easy to access the Northern Channel Islands and they offer amazing diving.

As a relatively new diver myself, I agree with Arnaud. Get your cert. Make some dives with the gear your Local Dive Shop (LDS) rents and see what you might want to spend your money on. Then go searching for the type of gear your want for the price you have to pay.

Start diving, have fun...and be SAFE!

KYDan

scooba diver once bubbled...

And I'm kinda wierd cause i only like to stuff that scares me (I.E. im scared of hights and i rockclimb), i have a huge fear of the ocean so i think ill enjoy this (i think its just the adrenaline) but i also like exploring and stuff. :)
I know where you are at because that WAS me (I was fortunate to survive long enough to grow out of it).

The"thrill seeker" is the worst possible attitude to approach diving. Scuba diving is much less forgiving of bravado than rock climbing and your 'adventuring' may well put others at risk.

Try and approach it from a perspective of something really interesting to do that needs a very mature approach to risk minimization and teamwork. you will have more fun, survive longer and be a better buddy.

As for the money - rent gear and spend your money on training. There is plenty of time for buying stuff when you are sure it is for you.

Have fun

Back
Top Bottom