I'm thinking of going TEC and I just don't know why...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's like a subliminal message is getting into my head. Arrrggggghhhh!!!!

Take an intro to tech class and see if its for you. Even if you decide to stay on the rec side, I guarantee Intro to Tech will make you a better diver.

I think he's making a tongue-in-cheek reference to the multiple duplicate posts advertising a Tec training course.

It's being dealt with.

It's like a subliminal message is getting into my head. Arrrggggghhhh!!!!
Look elsewhere for challenges? We are warm water wusses. The focus has always been on easy diving. But fish-ish spotting.

Stretch goals have been "fringe fish & behaviour". Screw depth except wire coral shrimp are only found on wire coral which live at 70ish and below.

There are many small things underwater that very few of us have seen. We are always looking for something new to us, or the obscure that maybe we will get a better look at.

On our last LOB trip we became known as the "fish people". After a dive one of the divers asked me what they saw. I asked how deep? And what did the fish do? They provided a terrible description of the fish. But based upon the depth for that site I gave them a fish identification that matched the Humann book (Razor Fish).

Is it evil too scare them into the sand? My dive buddy smacks me if she catches me doing this. Years ago we (I) demonstrated this fish behaviour to a noob. He blew lots of bubbles.

LOL... Up here a couple of folks started a FB group called Great Lakes Technical Divers. It grew like crazy but in reality, it should have been called "Recreational Divers That Wear Doubles". While many of the members were true Techies, the vast majority were not.

Diving in icy water, there is a lot to be said for adopting some Tec strategies. It's hard to beat doubles when a reg freezes up. It's hard to knock the use of oxygen to speed up deco... Indeed, it's hard to knock getting into deco and safely dealing with it when our best wrecks are deep enough that it's hard to do a decent dive without soaking up the inert gas.

But let's be honest, Technical Divers just look cool... lots of tanks, maybe a rebreather, drysuits, fancy lights. The sky's the limit.

In reality, tec skills are just tools to help you accomplish the type of diving you want to do. You aren't far from Florida Caves, so if that's your interest, or something similar, go nuts.

Have you met JBlackman yet?

Thinking of going Tec?

He posted duplications...the one above seems to have been deleted.....you’ll come across him I sure.

Last edited:
Have you met JBlackman yet?

Thinking of going Tec?

He posted duplications...the one above seems to have been deleted.....you’ll come across him I sure.

About 39 times, until The Chairman took care of it. Now, all the posts seem to be deleted.

Last edited:
I’m the same as you.

I would get to a high quality dive skill level. That doesn’t necessarily mean loads and loads of dives but it may well do. First take a GUE Fundamentals course, then practice perfect to get a good skill level and then ask the same question.

Don’t do it just “because”. You’re like me you don’t have that many dives. There’s still loads of dives you can do on a single tank to not get bored of.

Oh don't worry. After you spend the amount of money I have, YOU WILL FIND A REASON WHY!!! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom