Important Reading for Cave Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be up front and honest with you… I lost a friend…and I was not there because business kept me from going. Maybe that’s why I am such a villain.

I have read the ICURR report and it provides the most minimal details.
It does not account for a lot of things that went on. It does not account for the actions or details of the events. There is usually a follow up report and that never materialized.

It does not cover gear failures that happened. It does not cover the conditions of the scooters or potential medical issues. The fact, that they were sidemounting LP120’s and other details. Where does it say RF Links? Where does it say the conditions of the scooters? Where does it say others elements? It took me some serious digging and even asking friends to reach out. In the end I was told that this needed to be left alone.
So fine… I will leave it alone. So define politics- the power of a governing body.

Some might consider me a bit a bit of a diving zealot- but burying friends sucks.
Watching someone’s wife and children walking with a casket will change you forever.

Since this is bound to cause problems, I apologize ahead of time. It is not my intent to call anyone out, just be cautious as you go. These report can become very personal and when they do, its hard to let the little details go.

Andrew

I understand what you are saying,I've lost several friends in this sport,and have seen the aftermath. I've also seen the accident report on the friends I've lost too.

You have to understand the IUCRR was borne out of something Henry Nicholson did for years,and this emphasizes the facts that are available since he was involved in law enforcement,not subjective commentary.

One of the fatalities that involved a friend was very clear and concise,but it left out somethings that weren't objective that those us who knew the invdividual left some questions unanswered.

The system is not perfect,but overall does a fairly good job

Any source of information that is of a genuine nature with a concern of improving diver safety is worth the reading. I say genuine in that at times many people opionate as arm chair divers vs what I call theorize. Those that theorize study the accident/incident/fatality and use it to learn. Those who opinionate as arm chair divers often do so without much insight or study into the incident/accident/fatality. The lessons learned from either of these or any source is valuable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom