Importing DC800 Pro from US to UK, duty/taxes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks 300bar but i did try customs website, selected the item as a digital camera, price and date but i couldn't get a final figure, maybe my fault, i don't know.

Has anyone out there bought a £400 camera and had to pay duty and Vat? If so, how much extra did it cost you?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
You can try this. Go to fedex.com in the ‘Ship’ menu for the duties and tax estimator. I don’t know the HARM codes for camera (is it?) but ran with my codes for $720.00 USD getting

Duty and Tax Estimate

135.97 USD

However with the min of $1USD (I am allowed by FedEx to claim ‘free’ things are valued at)
Duty and Tax Estimate

10.14 USD

I tell my whining customers all the time, get someone in the country to send you this ‘gift’. Takes careful wording in the Customs Declaration tho, and keep your fingers crossed.
USPS makes it real easy to figure USPS ship cost, well with an estimated weight.

Thanks Redrover.

i just emailed an ebay shop seller and he said he marks the packages "Warranty replacements" and they usually get through, and some successfully argue that they don't have to pay for warranty items.

Don't know if they do get away with it but he did say that the likely duty and tax would be about €100 (£80) which isnt bad i guess.

Does anyone know if Scubatoys mark their UK parcels similarly? Also, do you get the warranty on the camera too at Scubatoys, it didn't say on the item description.

thanks

Thanks Redrover.

i just emailed an ebay shop seller and he said he marks the packages "Warranty replacements" and they usually get through, and some successfully argue that they don't have to pay for warranty items.

Don't know if they do get away with it but he did say that the likely duty and tax would be about €100 (£80) which isnt bad i guess.

Does anyone know if Scubatoys mark their UK parcels similarly? Also, do you get the warranty on the camera too at Scubatoys, it didn't say on the item description.

thanks

I bought a shortie and some gauges from Scubatoys and they marked the value on the shipping label so Darling got his pound of flesh. In fact, for some reason, the guy who shipped the parcel included the shipping charge in the value! Thanks for that one. Still, life's too short to worry eh ?

The duty on tobacco products is very high and different from electronic goods
Your friend could get I big trouble if court

Yeah we know, but his out is innocence as it was not he who filled out the customs slip. I'm more inclined to worry about any of the sticks he calls "easy to get" being sent to me as this is considered dealing with then enemy by our government which is why I don't let him reciprocate :wink:

Has anyone else from the UK bought a £400+ camera from the US on the internet and had to pay more than £80 in taxes or experienced any other problems that made them wish they'd payed a little bit more from UK sources?

Thanks.

If you pick up the camera in the US then use it, technically it is then preowned and you shouldn't have to pay tax on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom