Importing into UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapauly

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well after lots of recommendations and reading on this site. I'm about to put an order in to Yuzo for an Inon D180 and Inon Wide lens and fisheye tray and ICLS arm. I have Yuzo's prices which are great compared to the UK. Now I know I will have to pay duty and VAT to bring these into the country but I'm wondering if anyone has done this already and knows the right duty rates? I spoke to UK customs and they gave me rates of 6.7% for the lens and 3% for the strobe and arm. Then they cover themselves by saying that when the items arrive into the UK if they gave me the wrong duty rates its not their fault. So Once the kit arrives who knows what the duty rates will be. I used to work in broadcast television and I know that when I used to import stuff then some of the duty rates could be up in the 50 - 60% bracket.

I really hope they gave me the right numbers lol

Scubapauly

Do the UK customs have a website? I found some great info on the Oz customs website (pdf of categories, duty rates etc) and found that there were no duties (only a 10% goods and services tax - GST) on most photographic imports for Australia, so I make sure that Yuzo decribes the goods as 'photographic' in the customs declaration and the invoice, especially things like arms and trays. There were also other fees like 'customs clearance fee' which I was not aware of. If you use a private clearing agent - courier companies like Fedex fall in this category - then a fee is applied. EMS, which is what Yuzo sends goods by, comes through the postal service and doesn't fall in this category so I make sure the supplier uses EMS. Customs also get very upset if an invoice is not included, preferably on the outside. Also found that if the GST amount is too little it wasn't worth their while to collect it.

I imported all of my gear, but I live in Jersey, so I managed to skip the whole VAT affair.

50-60% seems B*$%"Y steep though!!

I think the first figures are nearer the mark. Another chap from this board ordered a DS125 from the U.S. not too long ago and he got charged, although it was quite reasonable from memory, and certainly still cheaper than buying from a UK supplier!

I'm pretty sure that the rates wont be too silly. Hopefully whoever I spoke to at customs was having a good day and gave me the correct rates lol.
I've allowed for myself to be overcharged a bit and the prices are still so much cheaper than buying in the UK.

Have to wait and see.

Scubapauly

Hey Scubapauly,
How did you get on with the importing? I was thinking of doing the same myself for an Inon WAL. Would be very interested in hearing how many fees and taxes you had to pay.
Cheers
BOB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom