Ordering to US from divervision.com & foreign stores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sft109

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just ordered an underwater housing from divervision.com - I see that they are recommended and based in Taiwan. I used to live in the US but now am in Turkey for the summer and then will be moving to Canada. Anyways I ordered to my US address since Turkey can be a hassle with imports, etc. and friends will be bringing over the housing to Turkey when they come visit next month. The housing cost $250 and they ship by EMS. I expect it will arrive in a week's time - will there be customs, import fees, etc for this item in the US? I don't want my friends to get hit with a fee and since they're so nice they probably won't even tell me if they do get a charge so I would like to know beforehand so I can give them the cost if there is one. Since I never ordered from abroad while I was in the US I really don't know about the formalities and customs, etc. Any input would be great and if anyone can maybe give an estimate for fees for a housing that costs $250 or maybe describe their ordering/customs process and how much they paid for a certain housing, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I'm about to buy a set of Magic Filters, the camera is a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 with a 28mm WA lens and manual WB but no other manual controls - I see the filters are quite recommended for natural light shots and video use so I am looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Don't know about divervision but I ordered some stuff from uwdigitalcamera.com and had it shipped to the US. I was surprised by how cheap the shipping charges were until about a week later, I got another bill from FedEx for the customs duties. Can't recall the specifics but the shipping was $30 or so and the customs duties were another $50. Not bad considering I saved at least a couple of hundred dollars on the stuff I bought.

Don't know about divervision but I ordered some stuff from uwdigitalcamera.com and had it shipped to the US. I was surprised by how cheap the shipping charges were until about a week later, I got another bill from FedEx for the customs duties. Can't recall the specifics but the shipping was $30 or so and the customs duties were another $50. Not bad considering I saved at least a couple of hundred dollars on the stuff I bought.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have heard of things like this before with FedEx and UPS. Divervision uses EMS (Express Mail) post and this is carried out by USPS in the US and they charge a flat rate I think - something less than $10 if I remember correctly but that is just the fee - I do wonder if there are actual tariffs and duties based on the value of the item too though? I guess I can just ask the people receiving my item to let me know if another bill arrives and I can probably pay for it with my credit card anyways?

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom