In case you get lost... Fair chance you will be found using Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do like the Batman style diving. I want a BCD FULL of all kinds of cool toys and gadgets. I remember at Palancar pier looking in a panga and seeing a BCD with all the gadgets hanging on their strings drying. Must have a been a hundred pounds of STUFF. I thought now that is COOL!

That was obviously a male diver's BCD. Only a guys do stuff like that.

Oh no, now all the dudes are going to freak out on me and we are going to have 10 pages of men justifying their gadgets... or probably not since guys could care less

report_button.jpg

Reactions: Jax
The question is other than the marine patrol, how many dive boats have DSC equipped radios, tied into a GPS? Can some of the dive ops answer that please? (I may have missed it in past posts.)

I agree don't rely totally on the Nautilus to rescue you BUT, it does have a VHF radio and when in Coz the divemaster tested mine and it did communicate with the dive vessel. So even if the dive boat does not have DSC equipment you can communicate with them. You position is shown on the Nautilus screen so you can give them your GPS coordinates via VHF assuming they actually have a GPS on the boat. If not they could relay them via VHF to the authorities. All this is moot of course once your 3 miles or so away from any boat with a VHF since the range is limited on the short antennae. I would take a safety sausage, mirror and any other equipment to help locate me that I could.

Hey everyone,

It’s been interesting reading some of theseposts but it seems that there may be some misinformation out there. First ofall I’d like to point out that we get testimonials on a regular basis aboutpeople who have used the Lifeline and feel it played a big part in saving theirlife. A number of these can be found on our website.

While the PLB is a useful device for itspurpose, the Lifeline has some distinct advantages over it for use on thewater. The PLB is limited in that it is only a beacon and has no 2-waycommunication. As well, the PLB relies on satellites to relay your distresssignal and takes a minimum of 5 mins. to actually reach someone who can helpyou. Even then, the signal will only be relayed to search and rescue and theymay or may not be close by depending on where you are. When the distress signalon the Lifeline is activated, everyone within the Lifeline's range capable ofreceiving the DSC signal will receive it.

As far as how many boats will have radios thatcan receive this signal, while it is true that some may not, the range of thelifeline is such that someone WILL receive your distress signal.

You are welcome to give us a call or send us anemail if anyone would like further information on the Lifeline.

Best regards,
Lifeline Team

To add to Mike's post here in the USA we have Rescue 21 setup. For those that don't know it is an upgraded communication system monitored by the Coast Guard up and down the coastal areas, including Hawaii. Fortunately it is strong in the areas that we dive, although fairly remote (Northern California). This means the DSC signal will be picked up by the Coast Guard.

Hopefully more and more boats are purchasing VHF's with DSC, but I read on boating forums how people just don't see the need to spend the extra money as they don't feel "they" will need DSC. What about someone else needing DSC? A DSC radio in a boat is worthless without a GPS that it can communicate with. The Nautilus along with other handheld VHF's can have DSC. The difference is all DSC equipped handhelds, except the Nautilus, can also receive and home in on a DSC signal to help rescue. The range of a VHF is around 3 miles, but DSC is good for around 12 miles, which is pretty decent. In places like Cozumel you will be within a cruise ships range, and they are required to relay the message, let alone the marine patrol.

When a DSC signal comes in on a boat equipped to receive it, lots of warnings and buzzers go off. Screens start flashing! You will know someone is in distress. Then the GPS will highlight their location and if you are available to render assistance it will be easy enough to locate their position.

For me the coolest part of the VHF is just simply being able to call a boat nearby. This is why I bought a Nautilus. We dive in an area that can sometimes get mild currents, but that may be enough to not allow returning to the boat. Or like what happened last week the fog could blow in obscuring the boat (We could still see the boat, but not land). Wouldn't be the first time it has happened. There were a few urchin boats right near us with one being only 400 yards away. I would hope a call out for help on channel 16 would bring in "local" help, without the Coast Guard having to come all the way to us. Rarely do we ever see the Coasties. Of course if one of my friends has their boat in the area we would first try to make contact with them via VHF, either a specific channel, or channel 16.

An EPIRB/PEPIRB/PLB or whatever you want to call it, will get your rescued every time. The question is at what resource level? Do I need a helicopter, a C130, a cutter, and a couple of lifeboats, just to give me a 1/4 mile ride back to my boat in case I screw up? If going for a helo ride you are ditching all your gear too.

The reality is both a Nautilus and a PLB belong on a dive. If a buddy team each carried one then you are covered. If solo, you decide. If someone is getting a new VHF radio, push them to get a DSC equipped unit. Start hounding dive ops, and maybe we will start seeing the DSC system put properly into place. For now though most every boat has a VHF.

Each have separate and distinct advantages. In reality, having both is really the best option. Knowing cost can be a huge issue with each item costing around $300, renting is always an option for those that only go on a trip or 2 per year.

Each have separate and distinct advantages. In reality, having both is really the best option. Knowing cost can be a huge issue with each item costing around $300, renting is always an option for those that only go on a trip or 2 per year.
So how many divers get swept away out to sea versus those who get bent versus those who just have heart attacks and drown? Surely it's much safer just to stay on land.

CVchief: you'll notice Batman is very streamlined. Where he keeps all those gadgets, I don't know. I don't want to know.

So how many divers get swept away out to sea versus those who get bent versus those who just have heart attacks and drown?

in April my wife and I were swept out in heavy currents with our AOW instructor. Tha NEAREST boat we could see was 200 yards or better away and ours was nowhere to be found. With SMB's and Whistles we finally alerted a vessel that motored over to retrieve us.

I would give the OP the Fair chance he is looking for. However, speaking to the emergency issue I would still rather rely on a PLB as my last option. That being any vessel not being with in reasonable visual range of my light,mirror or SMB; let alone the sound of my whistle for a period of time. How much? I would give a time of <> 1 hr (condition dependent) after expected end of dive before hitting the PLB. With in that time the dive OP should have noticed me missing, actively searching, and called for help in a search. I would add that if a PLB is activated, the coast guard does ask for all vessels in the area to respond. There by mitigating some argument of any significantly longer wait until help arrives

As to the point of gear having to be left behind do to a CG helicopter ride.. I'm sure the dive Op would love to reimburse you to avoid a demand letter and possible litigation. Or at the very least bad press.

I will add that a few commercial/rec spear-fishermen I know love them for the very reason stated by others: The ability to contact the boat and not have to wait.

CVchief: you'll notice Batman is very streamlined. Where he keeps all those gadgets, I don't know. I don't want to know.

I am old school Batman with the big yellow utility belt. When I hit someone, I want the screen to say "Zow." And I try to eat hearty to make sure I have room on the belt....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom