In Support of UK Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs Hoejay

Reaction score
I've never been to the UK, but I have heard the diving there is cold, dark and scary, with lots of weather.

Who ever told you that must have had a few bad dives here, like we all have. I think UK diving once you have the experinece and confidence is very rewarding i'm a memeber of club in the UK and we all do 99% of diving here.... Try places like Scapa Flow - fantastic wreck diving, the South Coast, Scotland etc... the list is endless. Of course warm water diving can be a lot easier (but not always) i can understand why people prefer it.... We do get sunshine, we do get good viz and flat sea...:wink: So if your ever in the UK give it ago.

Mrs Hoejay

from north Wales and couldn't resist dragging all my gear over from Sacrmento, CA to do a couple of dives in the Irish sea. The dive operation I hooked up with, Anglesey Divers, was great. Turns out it was very similar to diving in Monterey except all the fish had a funny accent :wink:

One huge difference I noticed was the tide change! From our first dive to the last, the tide dropped and the shore line moved out about 75 yards!

I've been in all the Great Lakes and find them more cold and dark than Scapa Flow. The diving in the Flow was outstanding. Great wrecks, good people, amazing vistas. No one with the skills should pass a chance to dive there.

...matter of fact, my wife and I are headed back next year.

I live in the UK and am ashamed to say that I have not dived here yet!! HOwever, I am just about to join a BSAC club and train for Sports Diver with a view to beginning my dive career nearer to home. Everyone I've spoken to says how great the diving is here. I am particularly interested in visiting Scapa FLow and St Abbs in due course. Course my 3mm shortie will be no good! Yikes. But, first, Tobago in a few weeks. Woo hoo!!

i started life as a UK diver just a few months ago, I now have 15 logged dives, from stoney, falmouth and newquay, Our club was wise enough to include the dry suit specialty as part of the OW course, they basically make you do it after you have done all your pool skills, so you can do your OW dives in one, so it's always nice and warm :)
I love UK diving, next year I will get to hit the warm waters of the south pacific though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom