In the Army now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amber

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I will be on Wed.

Tomorrow I go down to my recruiter and sign all the paper work. Then I have to stay at a hotel near MEPS. Then I get to take that embarassing physical where I have to get into my underwear and walk like a duck. Woohoo, sounds like my kinda fun :wink: lol

Then I get to pick my job. I'm probably going to go in as flight crew for helicopters. I'm going to try and apply for Warrent Officer school though so I can go to flight school. If I don't get in, I'll go there in a couple of years.

:tribute:

Nawww

Armour rules the battlefield.....

But congrats....

Some advice from an old signal dude....
keep your mouth shut....work hard....for god's sake dont cry....and do your best.....dont expect the army...just like life ,,,to be fair...neither are.

hang tough....

...There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about the time that I was in the Army. And, that was almost 40 years ago.

I went to the Army's refrigeration school. Did air conditioning work in Viet Nam for the radio communication vans. To this day I am still doing heating and cooling work.

You won't regret it.

I still have a year before I head off to bootcamp.

I'm not worried about it. I'm in JROTC so I know the 22-5 almost like the back of my hand. And I'm in raiders in JRTOC. We do marksmenship, first aid, map reading, compass usage, A LOT of pt, things like that.
I'm actually looking forward to it. :)

Well, don't let them talk you into some job that you don't want to do. That recruiter needs you more than you need him.

When I went in it was "Hey do you like camping?... yeah? ...well you'll LOVE the infantry!"

I had a blast-literally, but I do wish that I'd gotten some actual training that I could use to get a job once I got out.

Hey Amber,

Some advice for you. the thing to remember about the MEPS station is, you are not obligated to sign up. After going through your physicals and "wiz quiz" and they deem that you are military material, they will sit you down with a SGT from the service you want to go into and you will go over all the MOS's available.

If your are dead set on a flight crew MOS and its not available when your at the MEPS station don't let them talk you into another MOS and don't be afraid to walk away. They are high pressure salesmen (and Women) who's goal is to get you to swear in.

A buddy of mind who was not signing up for any other unit then the 82nd was out of luck because, at the time, there were no slots available. The SGT was trying to sell him some crap about being able request reassignment once he got through basic. So he told the SGT he wanted to step outside and take a smoke break. While outside, he said; "screw it" and he took off. His recruiter of course reamed him out about it but he told the recruiter that he wasn't going in for anything less than the 82nd. long story less long, the second time he went to MEPS he got a slot in the 82nd.

Having said all that, the Army can be an incredible experience and no matter how long you stay in or how much you like it... it will make you a better person.

Mark

hey norcaldiver, what unit where you with? I was 11b with the 10th mtn div.:mgun:

Have a great time, I loved my time in the Army and still miss the comraderie of it...

I also have a list of things I don't miss lying around here somewere.....

Great choice going into aviation, I have several friends that have gone into the flight program and are having a really good time...

One thing you might want to look into though is diving, ask for some information on OOB Engineer Diver.

It might be fun for you to get this training if you are not able to go right into flight training...

I loved every minute of it!!!

Hooyah Amber!!!

Jeff Lane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom