In the market for a Travel Lightweight BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a review on the Zeagle Covert about a month ago on here, if you haven't seen it might want to take a look. Light weight, packs small, should last for years. I am pretty happy with my purchase.

I did a review on the Zeagle Covert about a month ago on here, if you haven't seen it might want to take a look. Light weight, packs small, should last for years. I am pretty happy with my purchase.

Thanks for pointing out your review. Very informative and helpful.

I also had a few unanswered concerns about the weight pockets and lack of d-rings and storage pocket. So you found no need for trim weight pockets? How much lead are you needing on your BC? I was also considering an add on pocket but you had the issue of it getting in way which also crossed my mind.

Well I may very well pull the trigger on 2 Wicked Lites. I'm not a skinny guy, 5'8", 210lbs, 38" gut. I figure a large. Medium for the Wifey.

I went to a small wing, 26lbs lift, for my travel BCD because it packed flatter then a jacket style and weighed less too. To further reduce the weight in my luggage I attach the wing to a commercial diving harness instead of a back plate. There is also no need for a STA you would need with a back plate and the harness provides a much lower profile in the water.

IMG_2365.jpgIMG_2364.jpgIMG_2373.jpgIMG_2372.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you see some advantage of the Covert over the Express Tech?

Thanks for pointing out your review. Very informative and helpful.

I also had a few unanswered concerns about the weight pockets and lack of d-rings and storage pocket. So you found no need for trim weight pockets? How much lead are you needing on your BC? I was also considering an add on pocket but you had the issue of it getting in way which also crossed my mind.

Well I may very well pull the trigger on 2 Wicked Lites. I'm not a skinny guy, 5'8", 210lbs, 38" gut. I figure a large. Medium for the Wifey.

As far as any "trim" weight I didn't feel I needed any for good body position. Once I figured out where to attach the tank in relationship to the BC I never had any issues at all, and everything felt consistent from dive to dive. I use 12 lbs with my light shorty in salt water. I could probably go 10 lbs with the covert pretty easily, just never tried it. I'm 6-0, 215, 34 waist and 46 jacket size. I went with a large and it seemed to fit very well. I ordered some heavy duty plastic D-rings and sewed one on each side below the weight pockets. I use them to attach my retractor for my computer on the left and my octo holder on the right. Like I mentioned, they look factory and it would be great if Zeagle would just put some on as standard attachment points. I attached the Zeagle pocket to the waist belt, again with a little stitching modification. It only gets in the way a little when putting on/taking off the BC, other than that it worked great.

To answer the other posters question - One thing I prefer is weight integrated and the express tech is not. If that is not a concern I see no real advantage with the covert over the express tech. One option, of course, is to just add weight pockets to the express tech.

They are the same. Oxycheq is making wings for Apeks.
No, the plates are not the same, and that is what the post was about. Oxycheq may be making wings for Apeks (which is great - I love Oxycheq wings), but the plates are different, unless Oxycheq has changed its design and what is on its website is wrong..

---------- Post added February 17th, 2014 at 03:24 PM ----------

One thing I prefer is weight integrated and the express tech is not. If that is not a concern I see no real advantage with the covert over the express tech. One option, of course, is to just add weight pockets to the express tech.
OK, I can see why you prefer it. Thanks. Adding pockets, from my perspective, is an approach consistent with the modularity of the ET design. But, the Covert does offer that out of the box.

Here is my dilemma, traveling a lot overseas. I used to rent my gear but now have my own Regulator. Was thinking of getting a lightweight BCD simply because I hate the normal jackets they rent. Would like a back inflate aka wing.
Looked on the www for some, simply because I can't find a local dive shop with European equipment hence Cressi or Mares BCD's in the US area.
Scubatoys has them but they are far away.
I used to have a Zeagle Brigade from them, was great built quality but also a bit on the heavy side so I had sold it. Besides I don't know if I need service in SE Asia or Europe I can easily find a Zeagle dealer or Oceanic or any US manufacturer.

So I tend to fall back to Cressi. Any thoughts on the Cressi Air Travel vs other brands? Cressi Scuba Diving B.C.D Cressi Scuba Diving Equipment Airtravel BCD lightweight
How is the build quality, is it servicable in case the bladder gets damaged? Perhaps I should get a backplate / wing and piece it together myself?
Not sure if I can fit a Cressi with a integrated Octo and which one. Again if I need service I need a great worldwide dealer support network.

Hello Scubanomad,

I was looking the Holis Ride BCD for myself and on amazon UK it seems to have it in a very good price compared to other web-sites.
Have a look at it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollis-Durable-Denier-Cordura-Lightweight/dp/B007N8S5DQ.

I hope that helps !

Socc

I went to a small wing, 26lbs lift, for my travel BCD because it packed flatter then a jacket style and weighed less too. To further reduce the weight in my luggage I attach the wing to a commercial diving harness instead of a back plate.
I am really intrigued by the rig. I remember some time ago - last year, or the year before - you had posted a question about suitability of DSS wings (I think), and it seems I recall that Tobin replied that there would be a problem.

I cannot tell from the picture - it doesn't look like the the bands going through the slots on the plate are the 2" cam bands, but perhaps I am not seeing them correctly. Did you just lengthen the slots on the plate, and run the cam bands through the plate and the wing? Or, is there something else there? In any event, neat rig. Have you found any shortcomings of the rig, with regard to recreational diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom